Thursday, May 6, 2010
Every season Jayson Brunsdon mines some bygone hard glamour era for inspiration, more often than not hovering around the mid century. Last night, he made poolside chic his muse and cited a couple of film refs: Jacques Deray’s La Piscine from 1969 and Jean Luc Godard’s 1963 film Le Mépris (Contempt). Both were part of the French New Wave cinema movement, which coincided with a new, futuristic mood in French couture, one that was spearheaded by Pierre Cardin and André Courrèges. Courrèges was Brunsdon’s biggest reference, heralding a new sporty direction for the Sydney fashion illustrator-turned-designer. Beyond the trademark hostess dresses and shirtdresses, was a smart, structured series of trench coats, piped A-line skirts, striped sweaters and knit sheaths, with a cute two-tone, A-line shift in caramel and white. The short, full dirndl skirts and roomy pailletted tanks are sure to appeal to Brunsdon’s more mature customers, which is obviously where the money lies. But there was no shortage of youthful exuberance in pretty wasp-waisted, full-skirted party dresses, which looked tailor-made for the new generation Brigitte Bardots and Jane Birkins. Click here to see frockwriter's Posterous pic gallery of the show. And here for a video of the finale.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- Rachel Rutt scores her second international cover ...
- Casting clout: Kannon Rajah carves up the show cir...
- Master blaster: Indie Kiwi startup asks "WTF has h...
- Letters from TED (x)
- Juliana forges ahead
- The models of RAFW
- World's spot of bother in Woollahra
- Sarah Jessica Parker gets down to Bassike
- The bloggers of RAFW Part 4: Imelda's Matt Jordan
- The bloggers of RAFW Part 3: Sassi Sam's Sam Winte...
- The bloggers of RAFW Part 2: An Australian Wintour...
- The bloggers of RAFW Part 1: Aych blog's Hannah Mc...
- ABC Art Nation's story on Sonny Vandevelde
- Dion Lee's fashion analysis
- Jayson's New Wave
- Manning Cartell's backstage drama
- Kate Sylvester's charming summer
- Sally Koeswanto and the Ready to Wear 2 show
- Kristie Lawrence's hot Flannel
- ABC Art Nation's story on fashion bloggers
- Gail Elliott rocks it out for Little Joe's Sydney ...
- Zimmermann's 'Vanishing Point'
- digital prints and huge silver neckpieces - zimmer...
- Christopher Esber, Australia's latest fashion star...
- Camilla Franks takes one big step forward at RAFW
- tammy stone (l) and greta chesterman backstage B4 ...
- Camilla SS1011 finale at RAFW
- Lisa Ho SS1011 finale at RAFW
- A new day dawns at RAFW
- jumpsuits rule at ginger + smart #RAFW
- samantha harris - about to open lisa ho, the first...
- RAFW SS1011 launched - and how to follow the cover...
- Bvlgari's 125 years of Italian jewels
- ABC Art Nation tracks fashion bloggers
- ▼ May 2010 (34)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)