Saturday, April 10, 2010
Getty via mirror.co.uk
Pop legend Malcolm McLaren died on Thursday from mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer that is almost exclusively caused by exposure to asbestos fibres. To date noone has released any information indicating how McLaren may have been exposed (update 11/4: one theory is that he may have been exposed whilst refitting his King's Road shop SEX in the early '70s). But you have to wonder what, if any, role asbestos soundproofing in older recording studios might have played. One asbestos-specialist legal firm suggests it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Interestingly, McLaren is the second British music producer, and in fact the fourth recording industry professional, to have succumbed to mesothelioma in seven years. In 2003 another British producer, Mickie Most (The Animals/Herman’s Hermits/Donovan/Susie Quatro) and American singer songwriter Warren Zevon were felled by mesothelioma, with Irish singer songwriter Christie Hennessy dying from same in 2007.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- Who's live streaming at RAFW SS1011
- Myf Shepherd and Rachel Rutt are MUTT
- Carla's killer chic
- Zanita Whittington books American Apparel
- Garance Doré for Westfield
- When the going gets weird... the weird turn frow
- RAFW SS1011 - The 15 year anniversary video
- Carson Kressley talks Oz fashion, emus and tv cons...
- Behemoth rocks
- New girl alert: Sarah Lorimer
- Cruise control
- Malcolm McLaren was not the first British record p...
- Death of a pop culture genius
- Garance Doré and Scott Schuman head back to Austra...
- Louise van de Vorst has stalkers
- Julia Nobis has big feet
- Death of an Australian fashion icon
- Today Tonight goes backstage at Calvin Klein
- ▼ April 2010 (18)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)