Friday, April 2, 2010
This story went to air on tonight's show. With Calvin Klein Collection womenswear director Francisco Costa and executive vice president global communications Malcolm Carfrae both due to speak at last month's L'Oréal Melbourne Fashion Festival, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to show both in context in New York. After quite some negotiation, a freelance New York crew was booked and they shot at the February 18th shows (Calvin Klein has two, back-to-back - one for press, the other buyers). New York Fashion Week regulars would be aware that although the backstage areas at many shows are often crawling with camera crews, a couple of shows tend to be like Fort Knox. Calvin Klein arguably at the top of that list. I did the master interviews in Melbourne, just prior to the LMFF launch. Sadly the story did not get to run in the LMFF leadup.
I had no idea that Julia Nobis was even in the show until after it finished, otherwise I would have asked the crew to talk to her. And FYI "Yag-a-chiak" is the correct pronunciation of Jac's surname. I checked with Australia's Polish Chamber of Commerce.
I produced/wrote the story. Sally Obermeder reported and Damian Moncrieff edited.
Just a word on the intro and plasma screen graphics.
Producers are required to provide a sample intro for the anchor to read prior to each story, which is often tweaked further up the line.
Mine did mention all the Australian connections, ie in PR, the models and also the celebrities (Naomi Watts and Isobel Lucas were in the front row at the first show, with Melissa George turning up at the afterparty). Somehow, by the time the intro got to air, it had managed to morph into "Australian chiefs" being the "driving force" behind the company.
Unless Calvin Klein Inc president Tom Murry happens to have some antipodian ancestry, this will of course be news to Phillips Van Heusen.
But look, any more Australians on board and there could be a takeover.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- Who's live streaming at RAFW SS1011
- Myf Shepherd and Rachel Rutt are MUTT
- Carla's killer chic
- Zanita Whittington books American Apparel
- Garance Doré for Westfield
- When the going gets weird... the weird turn frow
- RAFW SS1011 - The 15 year anniversary video
- Carson Kressley talks Oz fashion, emus and tv cons...
- Behemoth rocks
- New girl alert: Sarah Lorimer
- Cruise control
- Malcolm McLaren was not the first British record p...
- Death of a pop culture genius
- Garance Doré and Scott Schuman head back to Austra...
- Louise van de Vorst has stalkers
- Julia Nobis has big feet
- Death of an Australian fashion icon
- Today Tonight goes backstage at Calvin Klein
- ▼ April 2010 (18)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)