Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Adelaide-born Emma Balfour was a very big modelling name in the 1990s. Launching her career at approximately the same time as Kate Moss, Balfour helped co-pioneer modelling's 1990s "waif" trend - which helped shunt the more statuesque 1980s supermodels off their pedestal. Kate Moss went on to become a much bigger name and her career has continued unabated. After taking time off to have children and move back to Australia from London, Balfour pretty much disappeared from the fashion radar. That was until September 2008, when she attempted a career relaunch on the runways of New York Fashion Week, booked for two top ticket shows: Alexander Wang and Marc Jacobs. In the two year interim Balfour, now 41, has been clocking up a steady stream of work, including numerous advertising campaigns that girls half her age - and of course their agents - would love to be booking. In Australia, she has fronted campaigns for Willow and Mimco. Here is an exclusive preview of her latest gig: the Autumn/Winter 2011 campaign of Australian fashion chain David Lawrence.
Shot by Georges Antoni at two spectacular buildings in Sydney - Harry Seidler & Associates and The Cove - the campaign hits stores next week and magazines in early February.
It was styled by Claudia Navone with hair by Sophie Roberts and makeup by Linda Jeffreyes.
It is hard not to notice the Céline-like minimalism and colour palette of these clothes.
Given how influential the French luxury brand's new creative director Phoebe Philo has proven since her return to the fashion arena following her own maternity hiatus, two seasons ago, that's perhaps hardly surprising.
But the fact that Balfour in fact appeared in Céline's Fall/Winter 2010/2011 campaign, is somewhat amusing.
A strong branding campaign nonetheless from a mid market player. With Abbey Lee Kershaw coming up in the same season at Portmans, the bar for Australian high street fashion advertising imagery looks to have been set a little higher than usual.
all images: georges antoni for david lawrence. supplied exclusively to frockwriter by david lawrence
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Spring/Summer 2011 by Juergen ...
- Gemma Ward to make her stage debut in The Ugly One...
- Meet the new girl, Emilia Skuza
- Andrej Pejic celebrated Australia Day on a Paris h...
- Trench coat glamour mafia: Andrej Pejic and Karoli...
- Wake in fright: Samantha Harris toughens up for Ka...
- The big league: H&M launches a plus size collectio...
- On their Marcs: Julia Nobis and Nick Hinman gear u...
- Andrej Pejic is James Blond
- Sophie Lowe, Krew Boylan and co get down to basics...
- Fur realz - Fall/Winter 2011/2012
- Calvin Klein gets back into the movie business ahe...
- When Abbey met Tom
- Lawrence of architectura: Emma Balfour tones it do...
- Onya Anja
- Rosemary Smith and Ajak Deng check into V69
- Alison Veness-McGourty out at Grazia
- Cat gets the Tweety Bird
- Sasha Knezevic popped the question to Anja Rubik a...
- Tom Ford's eyes-only debut womenswear collection i...
- Andrej Pejic and Ginta Lapina rock the casbah for ...
- ▼ January 2011 (21)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)