Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Here is a sneak peek at Australian modelling veteran Emma Balfour in Willow’s Resort 2010/2011 collection. The lookbook was shot yesterday by Max Doyle at designer Kit Willow’s Sydney headquarters and it was styled by Melanie Huynh. A stylist at Paris Vogue for five years and a former assistant to editor Carine Roitfeld, the now freelance Huynh flew out from her Paris base on Friday specifically for this job. It’s not the first time that Kit Willow and Huynh have worked together. Huynh styled Willow's 'Eclipse' Fall/Winter 2010/2011 show in New York in February (she also styled Joseph Altuzarra’s FW1011 show). Willow's Resort collection, entitled 'Bachelor Girl', will begin dropping into stores here in September and overseas, from October. Balfour was once a very big modelling name, who emerged in London in the early 1990s as part of the so-called “waif” brigade, that was spearheaded by Kate Moss. Balfour only recently returned to the business and frockwriter hears that she could be in for a major career boost - courtesy one very high profile French luxury brand.
Since Balfour’s return to the runways in September 2008 during New York's Spring/Summer 2009 shows, walking for headliners Marc Jacobs and Alexander Wang, the Sydney-based mother of two has been quietly building a portfolio of editorial work in this market.
Balfour has also appeared in several Rosemount Australian Fashion Week shows, including last year's Friedrich Gray and camilla + marc and last month's Ksubi show.
According to our well-placed sources, Balfour has just shot the Céline Fall/Winter 2010/2011 campaign. The campaign is said to include at least one other model.
Of course nothing is concrete in the modelling biz until it’s in print. But with new creative director Phoebe Philo, ex Chloé, helping reinvent Céline as of the world's hottest fashion brands, even booking the job is a fantastic get for Balfour.
In September 2008, coincidentally the month of Balfour's return to New York's runways, Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington, Claudia Schiffer and other members of the original 1990s supermodel pack began resurfacing in major fashion advertising campaigns.
Ad campaign shots are of course slightly less risky for advertisers, because well, they can be controlled and airbrushed - unlike most runway images.
Although Céline did not use any models aged 40+ on its Fall/Winter 2010/2011 runway earlier this year, however, several other brands did, deploying a handful of runway veterans, including Elle Macpherson, Kristen McMenamy and Stella Tennant.
So, interesting times indeed.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- Booked: FASHION by Mitchell Oakley Smith
- Sylvie Markovina gets a hand from Kim Kardashian
- Gemma Ward, action star?
- Andrej Pejic mixes it up at Jean Paul Gaultier
- Burberry Prorsum Spring/Summer 2011 menswear show ...
- Meet Australia's next top male model Jordan Coulte...
- Charlotte Rampling, cover girl - at 64
- Vale Richard Bailey
- Zippora Seven gets Romantic with Gen Kay
- Tallulah Morton crams White Sands, Harpers Bazaar ...
- The extreme cheek of Italian Vogue
- Miranda Kerr definitely hooked up with Balenciaga ...
- Miranda's Balenciaga hat trick?
- Gemma Ward proves her moment is far from "over" by...
- Boots and all: Kirsten Carriol plans to bring back...
- Nutbush City Limits: Romance Was Born's "granular"...
- Social (fashion) workers
- Woollahra Council agrees it should lighten up, but...
- Every move she makes: Cassi van den Dungen stalked...
- Flake's Alexander McQueen fake
- Eye of the Tiger: Melise Williams rocks Nicola Fin...
- World number #1 Lara Stone lands triple Calvin Kle...
- Adidas, Beckham, Daft Punk and co do the Star Wars...
- Thurley's butterfly effect
- Zanita Whittington tastes life in the fat lane
- sass & bide get their motors running with Range Ro...
- Emma Balfour shoots Willow... and Céline?
- ▼ June 2010 (28)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)