Tuesday, September 9, 2008
It’s mind-boggling trying to keep up with the Australian models in New York. Just when you think you have a handle on who is breaking into the international scene, comes news of a totally unsung new heroine – or indeed a veteran who, having long since hung up her stilettos, has just decided to return to the main game in her mid-late 30s. Arguably the biggest Australian modelling story to date of New York Fashion Week is that the Marc Jacobs show, which wrapped a short time ago, featured not one but three Australian models: Myf Shepherd, Alice Burdeu and 90s superwaif Emma Balfour.
balfour at marc jacobs, sep 8/style.com
The mother of two has just decided to resume modelling. According to her Australian agent Priscilla Leighton-Clarke, who spoke to Balfour backstage at Jacobs, she is attempting to reboot her career this week with the Jacobs and Alexander Wang shows.
balfour at alexander wang, sep 6/style.com
Stand by to see whether any other iconic 90s models also pop up in Jacobs’ show - which started at 9.15pm, according to our backstage sources, just 15 minutes after the scheduled start time.
As set by Jacobs at the Louis Vuitton SS08 show in Paris last October, the return to older, iconic models is certainly a fashion trend with legs, with several big name 80s/90s models such as Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista and Christy Turlington enjoying a raft of recent high profile advertising campaigns, including YSL and Prada.
And not before time many would argue - even the agents themselves.
“Modelling does really need to go across the ages a bit” Leighton-Clarke told me. “It’s all very well having these young girls, that’s great, that’s where new models starts. But I think with the likes of Emma Balfour, Kate Moss, Linda Evangelista, Naomi... It’s absolutely terrific that these girls are still working because women can relate to them".
She added, "We had such an incredible reaction from Elite in New York [when they mentioned Balfour wanted to work again]. We encouraged her, it wasn’t something that was foremost on her mind. But she’s delighted that she has landed in New York a week ago and all this is happening for her now”.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Balenciaga bullet Myf Shepherd and her runway "zen...
- Fly-by shoot in the Highlands
- Venus of Willen-Dior
- Tallulah tanks
- Home straight: Mythical Myf, Magna Carta and other...
- Gareth Pugh: "We have to sell the dream before we ...
- Burning down the (Cavalli) house
- Moe better clues?
- World wide web
- Isn't Miuccia Prada supposed to be a feminist?
- Abbey Lee's sterling last day effort
- Live and luxe: Dolce e Gabbana
- Dolce e Gabbana live
- Mythical Myf "storms Fendi"...before the show sta...
- Oh hai
- Prada says jump - Sachi asks 'How high?'
- Gucci's green and gold girls
- Prada's new supernova: Myf Shepherd
- On the record: Jenna Sauers
- Chow down with World
- Joseph and his Karangahape dream set
- Kate Sylvester: The grey lady
- Drop dead Dinnigan
- Uncross your legs Auckland - and offload your swag...
- Boy meets World
- (NZ) Life of Bryan
- Land of the long white cloud's silver lining: Alex...
- Deborah Sweeney: The NZ$130 wolf shirt and other c...
- Snubbed by the Oz fashion press - shot by Lagerfel...
- FGI roadshow Part III – Fashion Exposed
- Win-win for Julie Grbac
- From Lesbohan to Lopez: Miro's "massive" adventure...
- Erin O’Connor flogs free stuff to help her starvin...
- Prada's new supernova?
- Costarella makes his move
- Will the real Abbey Lee please stand up?
- But Cat does show for Tommy
- Cat a noshow at Willow - while six Australians lef...
- Black eyes, busted ribs and cockroaches: Alice Bur...
- Willow's pyramid scheme
- And more: Allegra Carpenter
- Killer heels
- The jumpsuit: a trend with legs (and arms)
- Where’s Abbey Lee? (Definitely) On the cover of V
- But wait, there's more: Fabienne's fab first seaso...
- Marc's Fair Ladies
- An Oz model trifecta at Marc Jacobs - and one of t...
- More model blogger reports: Marc Jacobs pays in "t...
- Graydon Carter on Richie, Lopez and co: "Who cares...
- Just a quiet Sunday in New York....
- Karen Walker's fashion belief system
- Maticevski forms a lobby group
- A model blogger reports: Marc Jacobs uses green to...
- And Alice McCall bows in NYC (with a little help f...
- An Angel kicks off their schedule (with a little h...
- Where's Abbey Lee? (Apparently) on the cover of D&...
- A New York Fashion Week primer Part III
- A New York Fashion Week primer Part II
- The Big Schmozzle: A New York Fashion Week primer ...
- Sydney: Finally relevant to someone
- Girls of Summer: Which new Australians will make t...
- The Rothman prophecies: Project Runway Australia c...
- ▼ September 2008 (63)