Wednesday, October 1, 2008
ali michael, balenciaga SS09/wwd
“On Tuesday morning in Paris, as the fashion elite were gathering at the Balenciaga show, 17-year-old model Ali Michael was heading home to the U.S. far earlier than anticipated”. So read the lead of Christina Binkley’s February 28th Wall Street Journal story “Wasn’t skinny supposed to be out of fashion?". Fast forward to Tuesday 30th September and there is Michael, in Balenciaga’s SS09 show.
Balenciaga is a great get for any model – and it tops off a very successful comeback season for Michael, whose many other SS09 shows have included Burberry and Christian Dior.
However the Balenciaga coup seems nothing short of extraordinary for a model who, as Binkley reported, was told by Paris casting directors last season that she was too fat because she had gained 5lbs – and who later went on the record about her battles with an eating disorder and the unrealistic pressures on runway models to be thin.
Many, including Michael herself, believed this critical commentary on the modelling business could spell the end of her career.
At the time, some of the comments from anonymous industry insiders on blogs such as COACD were fairly revealing.
One commenter suggested that casting agents boycott American models altogether and only use foreign girls - apparently inferring that "foreign" girls can be better counted on to put up and shut up.
lanvin FW0708 - march 07/style.com
anna sui, FW0809 - feb 08/style.com
What happened in the interim? That’s the real story here.
Did Michael return to the shows exactly the same weight that she was in February, but as a ‘celebrity’ this time, buoyed by all the publicity? Or did she in fact lose weight? Some seem to think so.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Operator Please bass player makes modelling debut....
- The Black Balloon sweeps the AFI Awards nomination...
- Gemma pipped by Emma, Toni and co – but The Black ...
- What Myf did Next
- Marc Jacobs gives good massage - Karlie Kloss cite...
- Lisa Seiffert one-ups Tiah Eckhardt in the Europea...
- Tiah Eckhardt to bare it all (again) for French Pl...
- Côte d'Aszur: Backstage @ Sid's Waltzing Masquerad...
- Model-turned-star: Gemma Ward
- Blogged by Daulmonster - censored by Mom
- Fashion redux: Emma Booth
- Win or lose, Karla Reid already has a two year mod...
- Girlfriend, you better work
- Randy Johnston was not the only model who died las...
- Toon raiders
- Josh Goot and Jaeha up for the world's biggest fas...
- Randy Johnston: Life imitates art
- Vicious circle
- River Phoenix lookalike model dies. Four days late...
- Miranda de Saint-Exupéry?
- Grazia - but for what exactly?
- Mythical Myf's nifty fifty
- Johnson & yet more johnson: Australia's fashion ph...
- Architects of spin
- Magna Carta, the blog
- A Miu Miu, a Miu Miu - they still all fall down
- Collette Dinnigan's three strikes on Style.com
- In Vogue: McBeha
- Model faints - New York mag uses psychic powers to...
- Where's Abbey Lee? Apparently in the need of a lit...
- Stephanie Carta: Even Raf Simons thinks camilla & ...
- Two men, one woman, coupla million hits?
- Onya Sonia
- Ali Michael: Bulimia one season, Balenciaga the ne...
- ▼ October 2008 (34)