Thursday, October 30, 2008
minty meets munt AW09
You’ve got to love a world scoop – especially one you have zip idea that you’re sitting on. Yesterday Sydney fashion label Minty Meets Munt shot its autumn winter 2009 catalogue. The party reportage-style campaign features up-and-coming US model Hannah Holman surrounded by four non professional male models, in a simulated 'night out' scene. Unbeknownst until 2pm today to the label’s designer Tanya Curmi and even Curmi's creative director/publicist Matt Jordan, not only was one of the four male models Ashley McConnell, the 19 year-old bass player from the ARIA Award-winning Gold Coast band Operator Please – the “favourite rocking teens” of über gossip blogger Perez Hilton - McConnell has just been signed by Sydney’s Chadwicks agency and is about to embark on a modelling career.
A ringin organised by Curmi's store manager, after Curmi says she "put out put a call out for cute looking indie boys", McConnell did the Minty Meets Munt shoot as a favour.
McConnell's only recompense for the gig was "some beers", according to Jordan – who even blogged some outtakes from the shoot this morning on his Imelda blog, with still with no clue as to McConnell's real identity (Jordan declares his commercial relationship with Minty Meets Munt in this earlier post).
Because noone knew who he was at the time, McConnell appears, hilariously, as a mere accoutrement to the campaign's star, Holman - and many of the images of him are blurred.
“It’s like Dumb and Dumber!” quipped Jordan.
Given McConnell's somewhat dramatic transformation from a relatively wholesome, emo-coiffed Gold Coast teen (second from the right, below) to tat-covered Pete Doherty-lookalike muso, perhaps it's no surprise that Curmi and co did not recognise him.
Expect to see more McConnell fashion images over the coming months, once Chadwicks starts shopping him around.
McConnell will apparently be listed at the agency as "Ashley Scott", using his middle name.
minty meets munt AW09
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Operator Please bass player makes modelling debut....
- The Black Balloon sweeps the AFI Awards nomination...
- Gemma pipped by Emma, Toni and co – but The Black ...
- What Myf did Next
- Marc Jacobs gives good massage - Karlie Kloss cite...
- Lisa Seiffert one-ups Tiah Eckhardt in the Europea...
- Tiah Eckhardt to bare it all (again) for French Pl...
- Côte d'Aszur: Backstage @ Sid's Waltzing Masquerad...
- Model-turned-star: Gemma Ward
- Blogged by Daulmonster - censored by Mom
- Fashion redux: Emma Booth
- Win or lose, Karla Reid already has a two year mod...
- Girlfriend, you better work
- Randy Johnston was not the only model who died las...
- Toon raiders
- Josh Goot and Jaeha up for the world's biggest fas...
- Randy Johnston: Life imitates art
- Vicious circle
- River Phoenix lookalike model dies. Four days late...
- Miranda de Saint-Exupéry?
- Grazia - but for what exactly?
- Mythical Myf's nifty fifty
- Johnson & yet more johnson: Australia's fashion ph...
- Architects of spin
- Magna Carta, the blog
- A Miu Miu, a Miu Miu - they still all fall down
- Collette Dinnigan's three strikes on Style.com
- In Vogue: McBeha
- Model faints - New York mag uses psychic powers to...
- Where's Abbey Lee? Apparently in the need of a lit...
- Stephanie Carta: Even Raf Simons thinks camilla & ...
- Two men, one woman, coupla million hits?
- Onya Sonia
- Ali Michael: Bulimia one season, Balenciaga the ne...
- ▼ October 2008 (34)