Saturday, October 4, 2008
abbey lee kershaw, alexander mcqueen SS09/getty
Well if the heels don't get you - the corsets will. According to an eyewitness report, three weeks after Abbey lee Kershaw came a cropper at Rodarte due to the show's Nicholas Kirkwood shoes, Kershaw finished off Friday night's Alexander McQueen show in Paris not falling, but in fact fainting on the runway - a combination, in their opinion, of the tight corset and perilously high heels she was wearing.
According to photographer Sonny Vandevelde, who was photographing the show from the auditorium and not backstage, as usual, Kershaw fell just as she was about to exit McQueen's 'runway' space - the bare concrete floor of a venue in the 19th arrondissement.
kershaw just prior to falling/sonny vandevelde
To add to the absurdity of the moment, McQueen had decorated the runway backdrop with a number of plush toy animals [correction, stuffed animals] - and made his bow at the end of the show in a giant rabbit suit.
kershaw's mqueen corset from behind/getty
"She fainted - out cold" said Vandevelde.
"When she was coming to the end [of the runway], back near the [entrance] ramp, I could tell she was having difficulties, because her steps were getting shorter and shorter, they were more like baby steps. I was reading her face and I could see 'struggle' all over it and I was thinking, 'She's not going to make it'. But then she made it to the top of the animals and I thought she was OK, that's why I turned my back on her to to go back to the main room.
"As soon as the show finished, [model] Ali Stephens came running out to her mother to say, 'OMG, did you see that?' - she said Abbey had fainted. I asked if Abbey was OK, Ali said 'Yes, she's fine - the corset was too tight. But she's OK now'"
According to Vandevelde Kershaw was helped backstage by two members of McQueen's production crew and did not walk in the finale.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Operator Please bass player makes modelling debut....
- The Black Balloon sweeps the AFI Awards nomination...
- Gemma pipped by Emma, Toni and co – but The Black ...
- What Myf did Next
- Marc Jacobs gives good massage - Karlie Kloss cite...
- Lisa Seiffert one-ups Tiah Eckhardt in the Europea...
- Tiah Eckhardt to bare it all (again) for French Pl...
- Côte d'Aszur: Backstage @ Sid's Waltzing Masquerad...
- Model-turned-star: Gemma Ward
- Blogged by Daulmonster - censored by Mom
- Fashion redux: Emma Booth
- Win or lose, Karla Reid already has a two year mod...
- Girlfriend, you better work
- Randy Johnston was not the only model who died las...
- Toon raiders
- Josh Goot and Jaeha up for the world's biggest fas...
- Randy Johnston: Life imitates art
- Vicious circle
- River Phoenix lookalike model dies. Four days late...
- Miranda de Saint-Exupéry?
- Grazia - but for what exactly?
- Mythical Myf's nifty fifty
- Johnson & yet more johnson: Australia's fashion ph...
- Architects of spin
- Magna Carta, the blog
- A Miu Miu, a Miu Miu - they still all fall down
- Collette Dinnigan's three strikes on Style.com
- In Vogue: McBeha
- Model faints - New York mag uses psychic powers to...
- Where's Abbey Lee? Apparently in the need of a lit...
- Stephanie Carta: Even Raf Simons thinks camilla & ...
- Two men, one woman, coupla million hits?
- Onya Sonia
- Ali Michael: Bulimia one season, Balenciaga the ne...
- ▼ October 2008 (34)