Thursday, October 2, 2008
sonia rykiel SS09/getty
What a hoot Sonia Rykiel’s show must have been last night in Paris. Staged in Saint Cloud, guests were wined and dined beforehand and later pelted the runway with flowers from their table arrangements. Rykiel’s shows have, of late, tended to culminate in mad sashaying romps of barefoot giggling models, but this one was extra giggly – a celebration of the designer’s 40th anniversary in business.
Opening her boutique during the May 1968 riots, at a time when the haute couture establishment was experiencing heavy losses - with one notable subsequent closure, in Balenciaga – Rykiel, now 78, was a pioneer of the Paris prêt-à-porter revolution.
To help celebrate 40 years of skinny knits and jersey suits and dresses, 40 international designers, from Karl Lagerfeld to Martin Margiela, created outfits in homage of la Rykiel – many of them apparently using the designer’s trademark poodle-esque red mane and kohl makeup as their creative kickoff points. There are some pretty hilarious pictures.
No idea at this stage who created Myf Shepherd's rather macabre-looking Sonia doll (^), but note Shepherd's expert pose interpretation - not of Zoolander's Blue Steel, but rather, Ayesha Makim's infamous knicker flash to the camera pit at Fashionassassin.
sonia rykiel SS09/getty
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Operator Please bass player makes modelling debut....
- The Black Balloon sweeps the AFI Awards nomination...
- Gemma pipped by Emma, Toni and co – but The Black ...
- What Myf did Next
- Marc Jacobs gives good massage - Karlie Kloss cite...
- Lisa Seiffert one-ups Tiah Eckhardt in the Europea...
- Tiah Eckhardt to bare it all (again) for French Pl...
- Côte d'Aszur: Backstage @ Sid's Waltzing Masquerad...
- Model-turned-star: Gemma Ward
- Blogged by Daulmonster - censored by Mom
- Fashion redux: Emma Booth
- Win or lose, Karla Reid already has a two year mod...
- Girlfriend, you better work
- Randy Johnston was not the only model who died las...
- Toon raiders
- Josh Goot and Jaeha up for the world's biggest fas...
- Randy Johnston: Life imitates art
- Vicious circle
- River Phoenix lookalike model dies. Four days late...
- Miranda de Saint-Exupéry?
- Grazia - but for what exactly?
- Mythical Myf's nifty fifty
- Johnson & yet more johnson: Australia's fashion ph...
- Architects of spin
- Magna Carta, the blog
- A Miu Miu, a Miu Miu - they still all fall down
- Collette Dinnigan's three strikes on Style.com
- In Vogue: McBeha
- Model faints - New York mag uses psychic powers to...
- Where's Abbey Lee? Apparently in the need of a lit...
- Stephanie Carta: Even Raf Simons thinks camilla & ...
- Two men, one woman, coupla million hits?
- Onya Sonia
- Ali Michael: Bulimia one season, Balenciaga the ne...
- ▼ October 2008 (34)