Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Here is an inspiring video currently doing the rounds - of Aimee Mullins talking at last month’s TED conference. Mullins’ name is no doubt very familiar to many. Born without fibulae in both legs, Mullins had both of her legs amputated below the knee at age one. Twenty years later, in 1996, she made world headlines by setting Paralympic records in Atlanta in the 100m dash and long jump, whilst wearing a pair of spectacular carbon-fiber prostheses, whose design had been inspired by the hind legs of a cheetah. Highly photogenic, Mullins became the focus of a 10-page feature in Sports Illustrated and was swiftly adopted by the fashion world. She appeared in a score of fashion magazines and notably, on Alexander McQueen’s runway in 1999, wearing a pair of hand-carved wooden legs.
Mullins has since made a tentative foray into the acting business and, judging by this presentation, has developed into a charismatic and highly confident motivational speaker.
As Mullins talks in this video, a stage hand delivers to the podium some of her 12 pairs of prosthetic limbs, via which she says she is able to adjust her height from 5’8” to 6’1”.
As inspiring as Mullins and her story are, frockwriter can't help get the feeling that there's something strangely unsettling here - especially following the video of the Japanese "runway" robot which swept the net yesterday (see below).
Not to mention reports of elective surgery to increase height.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- RAFW ditches the Big Top
- Guns n poses
- Aurelio Costarella and Willow ditch NYFW for RAFW
- The Sartorialist heading to RAFW
- sass & bide returns to RAFW, opens five new stores...
- RAFW SS0910: The Recessionista edition
- Carine Roitfeld on CNN Revealed
- Prêt-à-Twitter: LMFF Marketing Breakfast
- I, Fashion Robot
- Romancing the Woolmark
- A. K. G. Nair, fashion savant
- Girl with a gong
- Fleur Wood pulls 160 rabbits out of her hat
- Fashion from the vault
- McQueen's garbo couture
- Is Olivier Zahm the new Michael Hutchence?
- In a Wordle: [frockwriter]
- The Fall girls
- Things not going better with coke in Paris - espec...
- Tallulah says NO
- Prêt-à-Twitter: First word on Balenciaga
- Gareth Pugh FW0910 live blog
- Dolce e Gabbana FW0910 live
- Kane and able
- Prada goes to war
- Killer heels II - Abbey Lee Kershaw bows out of FW...
- ▼ March 2009 (26)
- ► 2008 (229)