Wednesday, March 25, 2009
On Monday, frockwriter mentioned that sass & bide has been mooting a return to RAFW to celebrate its 10th anniversary. Well now it’s official. Today, just as sass & bide announced that former Mimco CEO and sass & bide consultant, David Briskin, has been appointed sass & bide CEO, and that Briskin and Daniel Besen have taken a strategic stake in the company, sass & bide confirmed to frockwriter that it will definitely take part in RAFW’s SS0910 schedule – in a format that is yet to be determined. It could be a runway presentation, with the SS09 collection the most likely to showcase, given that it was not shown at New York Fashion Week in September. Alternatively, a party. “But it’s definitely on the schedule” noted spokeswoman Nicci Hunter.
Regarding rumours floated elsewhere today that sass & bide was desperately in need of a cash injection to stay afloat, sass & bide is one Australian fashion company about which frockwriter has not heard a negative financial peep of late.
In fact in talking with retail architect Kelvin Ho last week, it emerged that the company is preparing to roll out new stores.
Frockwriter could not mention it then but we can now also reveal that sass & bide will open three new stores within the next month: in Adelaide, Bondi Junction and Melbourne’s GPO, with an additional two to open by September/October, in Chadstone and Chatswood Chase. That brings sass & bide’s store tally to ten - doubling its local store count.
Founders Heidi Middleton and Sarah-Jane Clarke, who insist that they retain a controlling stake, are also currently mooting their return to the northern hemisphere runways for September’s SS10 shows – at either New York Fashion Week, or perhaps London Fashion Week.
Given that a London flagship is also on their retail wishlist, frockwriter would put money on it being the latter sooner rather than later.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- RAFW ditches the Big Top
- Guns n poses
- Aurelio Costarella and Willow ditch NYFW for RAFW
- The Sartorialist heading to RAFW
- sass & bide returns to RAFW, opens five new stores...
- RAFW SS0910: The Recessionista edition
- Carine Roitfeld on CNN Revealed
- Prêt-à-Twitter: LMFF Marketing Breakfast
- I, Fashion Robot
- Romancing the Woolmark
- A. K. G. Nair, fashion savant
- Girl with a gong
- Fleur Wood pulls 160 rabbits out of her hat
- Fashion from the vault
- McQueen's garbo couture
- Is Olivier Zahm the new Michael Hutchence?
- In a Wordle: [frockwriter]
- The Fall girls
- Things not going better with coke in Paris - espec...
- Tallulah says NO
- Prêt-à-Twitter: First word on Balenciaga
- Gareth Pugh FW0910 live blog
- Dolce e Gabbana FW0910 live
- Kane and able
- Prada goes to war
- Killer heels II - Abbey Lee Kershaw bows out of FW...
- ▼ March 2009 (26)
- ► 2008 (229)