Thursday, December 23, 2010

Julia Restoin-Roitfeld interviews Tom Ford for V Magazine



These shots were just slipped to frockwriter (and no doubt many other blogs, but at this stage we think it may be a first look). It's a preview of V Magazine's issue #69, a spread starring Julia Restoin-Roitfeld modelling Tom Ford's debut womenswear collection - described as "self portraits" so we have to assume she took the shots. And an excerpt from an interview conducted with Ford, by Restoin-Roitfeld, the face of Ford's Black Orchid fragrance campaign. This would have been in the pipeline for some time, but interesting that it falls hot on the heels of last Friday's abrupt resignation by Restoin-Roitfeld's mother, Carine Roitfeld, from Vogue Paris after a 10 year tenure. The official version is that Roitfeld wants to pursue "personal projects". In reality, however, noone leaves a position like that with several weeks notice. Few, if any, have voluntarily resigned from Vogue. There has been much speculation that Roitfeld was pushed by Condé Nast after problems vis-à-vis her ongoing consulting to fashion brands. Yes fashion editors (even in Australia) do paid work on outside ad campaigns and that's bad enough. It is verging on the ludicrous for an editor-in-chief to do so. There has also been speculation that the December issue of Vogue Paris, as edited by Ford, was poorly received by some Vogue advertisers and may have proven the final straw.





JULIA RESTOIN ROITFELD What made you decide that this was the season to return to fashion?  
TOM FORD I told myself that I would not come back to 
women’s fashion until I felt I had something new to say. I feel that fashion has become too serious and that the actual customer’s needs have not really been addressed. Fashion needs to make one happy. It is a luxury and should enhance one’s quality of life.
 
JRR What inspired your collection?   
TF Real clothes for real women. I want to concentrate on my real customer. That’s why I showed idealized versions of her—different women of different ages. It was about individuality, different body types, women who have their own style.
 
JRR What do you think fashion needs more of right now? 
TF Spontaneity. Fashion needs to be more fun.
 
JRR What personality traits does the Tom Ford woman possess? 
TF My customer has her own sense of style and knows herself well. My goal is to help women become the best version of themselves.
 
JRR What is your favorite piece from the collection? 
TF I love every piece. That is like asking someone which one of their children is their favorite.
 
JRR Outside fashion, what are you looking forward to this spring? 
TF I have to say more fashion. I love what I am doing right now and can’t wait to start the next collection.
 
JRR What was the last thing that made you laugh? 
TF I laugh a good bit so that is a hard question. I suppose a phone call I just had with Richard [Buckley] five minutes ago made me laugh pretty hard. He has a wicked sense of humor
 
JRR What’s your New Year’s resolution?   
TF I don’t have one. I believe in living life the way that you want to live it every day, and if you do that you don’t really need to have New Year’s resolutions.




all materials: supplied to frockwriter by V magazine

0 comments:

Blog Archive