Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Books on Australian fashion are few and far between. In fact Alexandra Joel’s Parade and Elina Mackay's The Great Aussie Fashion, both published in 1984 (with Parade reprinted in 1998) and David Meagher's 2008 Fashion Speak (in which Australasians account for half of Meagher's 14 designer profiles) are the sum total to date if frockwriter is not mistaken. Well now we can add Mitchell Oakley Smith’s first literary effort to this very slim list: FASHION, a 352-page book on Australian – and New Zealand – designers, published by no less than Thames & Hudson Australia, the local arm of one of the world’s most prestigious fashion and art publishers (to be sold internationally as well). Here is an exclusive preview of the cover: a Georges Antoni shot of Anthea Page in Toni Maticevski’s silk cotton voile and triacetate ballgown. According to the notes, the dress is from the Autumn/Winter 2006 collection and according to Oakley Smith, the shot was first published in Oyster.
The dress bears a strong resemblance to the "doona" dresses that were later presented by Maticevski in New York in February 2007 for the Fall/Winter 0708 season. And no, apparently that's no Photoshop job - the model is actually carrying an eski bag emblazoned with an Australian flag.
Sydney-based Oakley Smith is associate editor of GQ Australia and has been writing about fashion for four years, for publications including BELLE, Myer Emporium and The Australian.
Accompanying a fantastic selection of imagery (see below) are 50,000 words profiling 70 designers, including Akira Isogawa, Josh Goot, Zimmermann, Karen Walker, Kate Sylvester, Nom*D, World, Birthday Suit, Romance Was Born and Arnsdorf.
The book took Oakley Smith two years and he approached five different publishers before hooking up with T&H.
Available from August 1 ($79.95).
All images supplied by Thames & Hudson
(Top to bottom)
Toni Maticevski by Georges Antoni.
Chronicles of Never
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- Booked: FASHION by Mitchell Oakley Smith
- Sylvie Markovina gets a hand from Kim Kardashian
- Gemma Ward, action star?
- Andrej Pejic mixes it up at Jean Paul Gaultier
- Burberry Prorsum Spring/Summer 2011 menswear show ...
- Meet Australia's next top male model Jordan Coulte...
- Charlotte Rampling, cover girl - at 64
- Vale Richard Bailey
- Zippora Seven gets Romantic with Gen Kay
- Tallulah Morton crams White Sands, Harpers Bazaar ...
- The extreme cheek of Italian Vogue
- Miranda Kerr definitely hooked up with Balenciaga ...
- Miranda's Balenciaga hat trick?
- Gemma Ward proves her moment is far from "over" by...
- Boots and all: Kirsten Carriol plans to bring back...
- Nutbush City Limits: Romance Was Born's "granular"...
- Social (fashion) workers
- Woollahra Council agrees it should lighten up, but...
- Every move she makes: Cassi van den Dungen stalked...
- Flake's Alexander McQueen fake
- Eye of the Tiger: Melise Williams rocks Nicola Fin...
- World number #1 Lara Stone lands triple Calvin Kle...
- Adidas, Beckham, Daft Punk and co do the Star Wars...
- Thurley's butterfly effect
- Zanita Whittington tastes life in the fat lane
- sass & bide get their motors running with Range Ro...
- Emma Balfour shoots Willow... and Céline?
- ▼ June 2010 (28)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)