Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Yes we know about the potential power of celebrity when it comes to shifting product and how proactive many publicists are in getting product to celebs. That's no guarantee they will wear it - especially if the only inducement is free product. We also know Australia is producing some stellar jewellers, led by Jenny ‘Victoria’s Secret’ Mercian, Michelle Jank and Sarina Suriano. Well supremely talented, but little-known Australian jeweller Sylvie Markovina (who frockwriter first met in 2005 at the Mercedes Benz Startup competition) just received a massive PR shot in the arm courtesy Kim Kardashian. On June 6, Kardashian Tweeted two images of herself in Markovina's Art Deco-look, fluted brass 'Laneway' rings, together with the captions “What do u guys think about my rings? U like? Dope right” and “A close up! Kind of Edward Scissor hands [sic] style!”. The photos have been viewed almost 300,000 times on Twitter.
Markovina’s New York-based publicist/showroom, Melt Management, then got the story into US Weekly, which conducted an online poll “Would you wear Kim Kardashian’s wacky jewellery?”.
Melt Management's Courtney Porkolab tells frockwriter that high profile fashion stylist Karl Templar recently borrowed some of Markovina’s jewellery for a Vogue Italia shoot with Steven Meisel. Not everything that gets called in for photoshoots makes it into magazines of course, so let’s wait and see what comes of that. Melt also claims UK retailer Kabiri recently placed a US$13,000 order of Markovina's jewellery.
How did Kardashian get the merch in the first place? Via Rosemount Australian Fashion Week.
A Melt Management team travelled to last month’s event, spotted Markovina’s jewellery in Sydney, signed her and then, she reports, later forwarded a lookbook to Kardashian’s stylist.
The stylist requested some jewellery, so Melt gifted six pieces to Kardashian.
It should be noted that RAFW was also the launchpad for Jank, Suriano and Mercian. So evidently, it's not just the frocks that benefit from the publicity.
Two newer, equally bold jewellery brands to emerge at the event are Maniamania, which was first showcased in last year's Zimmermann show and Alexandra Blak, whose spectacular Lucite earrings were the key accessory featured in last month's Spring/Summer 2010/2011 Manning Cartel show.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- Booked: FASHION by Mitchell Oakley Smith
- Sylvie Markovina gets a hand from Kim Kardashian
- Gemma Ward, action star?
- Andrej Pejic mixes it up at Jean Paul Gaultier
- Burberry Prorsum Spring/Summer 2011 menswear show ...
- Meet Australia's next top male model Jordan Coulte...
- Charlotte Rampling, cover girl - at 64
- Vale Richard Bailey
- Zippora Seven gets Romantic with Gen Kay
- Tallulah Morton crams White Sands, Harpers Bazaar ...
- The extreme cheek of Italian Vogue
- Miranda Kerr definitely hooked up with Balenciaga ...
- Miranda's Balenciaga hat trick?
- Gemma Ward proves her moment is far from "over" by...
- Boots and all: Kirsten Carriol plans to bring back...
- Nutbush City Limits: Romance Was Born's "granular"...
- Social (fashion) workers
- Woollahra Council agrees it should lighten up, but...
- Every move she makes: Cassi van den Dungen stalked...
- Flake's Alexander McQueen fake
- Eye of the Tiger: Melise Williams rocks Nicola Fin...
- World number #1 Lara Stone lands triple Calvin Kle...
- Adidas, Beckham, Daft Punk and co do the Star Wars...
- Thurley's butterfly effect
- Zanita Whittington tastes life in the fat lane
- sass & bide get their motors running with Range Ro...
- Emma Balfour shoots Willow... and Céline?
- ▼ June 2010 (28)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)