Friday, November 21, 2008
lily cole by emma summerton
Two weeks ago, in a post about Gemma Ward, frockwriter mentioned the name of photographer Emma Summerton. A Summerton shot of Ward appears in this month’s edition of Vogue Italia and Summerton also shot Ward, together with Lily Donaldson, for the February cover of i-D magazine. As it now emerges, Summerton is in fact Australian. And while she once worked for Australian Vogue – and lists the local edition on her client list - her lack of profile downunder could perhaps be explained by the fact that she has not lived here for 10 years. But Summerton is rapidly gaining momentum in the international fashion business via a slew of other major covers and editorial, with models.com founder Wayne Sterling recently hinting that Summerton could be about to “eat” some SS09 campaigns - calling her “the fastest rising new photographer on the scene”.
emma summerton/british vogue via TFS
That’s Summerton’s image of Eden Clark, Jourdan Dunn and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley on the November cover of British Vogue and she also shot Lily Donaldson for the magazine’s August cover.
Summerton’s portfolio on the Maxim Fashion Agents website includes three other i-D covers over the past 12 months: Gemma Ward again for the cover of i-D’s September 2007 edition, Kate Moss for the magazine’s November 2007 edition and Raquel Zimmermann for i-D’s March 2008 cover.
As you can see by this list of recent work posted on models.com, Summerton has also recently shot some other big modelling names, including Natasha Poly and Catherine McNeil, for British and Italian Vogue, as well as i-D.
emma summerton/vogue italia via models.com
According to Maxim Fashion Agents, Summerton is a Fine Arts graduate from the National Art School in Sydney.
In this interview which has just gone up on The Ones To Watch, which tracks new talent in modelling and fashion creative, Summerton says she attended art school in 1988. This presumably places her in her late 30s.
Summerton worked as an assistant for five years before moving to London in 1998, where she worked as the assistant of artist Fiona Banner.
Summerton's client list also includes American and German Vogue, 10 magazine, Self Service, Dazed & Confused, Big Magazine and Nylon.
Her listed commercial clients include Yves Saint Laurent, Miu Miu, Strenesse, Topshop, Agent Provocateur, Selfridges, Sony Music and Heineken.
emma summerton/i-D/TFS via i-D
Getty Images also chose Summerton as part of its annual up-and-comer lineup for the photo agency’s New Photographers 2007 selection.
Another Australian, Simon Lekias, also got a lookin in Getty's 2007 new talent list.
Lekias' name, ironically, is much better known in Australia, where one assumes he remains based and where his biggest clients, as listed on his own website, include Harpers Bazaar, RUSSH, Grazia, Zimmermann and Sportsgirl.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- If you build it: Vale Jørn Utzon
- Myf nabs Miu Miu - apparently alongside Katie Hol...
- 'Too Young': The Cobrasnake exposes 200 girls, Tal...
- Absence of Melise - but perhaps not for much longe...
- Tallulah Morton - apparently still partying with T...
- Allan Powell, fashionisto
- In Vogue (and soon, everywhere else): Emma Summert...
- Swim Fashion Week (eventually) launched in Sydney
- Akira, Zimmermann and Josh Goot @ FGI
- IMG's new waterbaby: Swim Fashion Week on the Gold...
- 'Australia' world premiere - the red carpet
- 'Australia' world premiere - the presser
- Panty power
- Angel touchdown
- Don Draper's latest squeeze
- A Rajah and his queens
- Beach blanket babelon
- Sarah Stephens: Earth Angel
- Grazia's "incredible" figures while other weeklies...
- Gemma Ward - close, but no cigar
- Finch takes flight
- Victoria's secret Aussie Angels?
- Grazia's good Friday?
- Bend it like Calvin: Alyssa Sutherland's HUGE come...
- Gemma Ward: Back in Vogue
- Gemma Ward: Apparently not going out in New York
- Le Rouge et le Noir: Obama makes history, Michelle...
- Yes, he did
- Zac Posen fashions the vote
- Is John McCain the Imelda Marcos of the 56th presi...
- Another Oz model blogger - and this one has a four...
- ▼ November 2008 (31)