Monday, September 21, 2009
As reported by frockwriter, Sydney-based Sue Vanikiotis has been at New York Fashion Week showing her Anaessia label. And things appear to have gone very well - unexpectedly so, one could say, given the retail climate in the US, which has seen stores close right, left and centre. Vanikiotis' business partner and husband, Nick Vanikiotis, reports that not only was the collection warmly received on September 15, the duo has been approached by an investor to open a store in Mercer Street, SoHo. While visiting The Mercer Hotel one day they bumped into legendary New York eveningwear designer Vera Wang, who reportedly said to Sue, "I like your top - is it one of yours?". When Sue told her that she had just done her first runway show in New York, Wang offered her congratulations. See below for a video of the show, which featured more of Anaessia's trademark lace party dresses trimmed with ribbon and crystal embellishments - as first spotted at Sydney's RAFW in May.
As it emerges, two other Australian brands also showed at the same Nolcha Fashion Week umbrella event in New York as Anaessia: Telina Webb's designer kimono brand KabukiU and Suzie Rose Vella’s Pizzuto.
Together with Yeojin Bae, who showed as part of the Gen Art collective, also on September 15, that makes in fact at least seven Australian brands on the runway in New York last week.
Click here to see Harper's Bazaar Australia's gallery from the Yeojin Bae show.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- Oyster shelved
- Kate Sylvester once had a mohawk
- Stolen generation
- Nom*D's renegade chic
- Alexandra Owen's bridled passion
- Anaessia's Sue Vanikiotis gets a pat on the back f...
- Myf Shepherd is thinking of taking a break
- Mark Fast's stylist didn't quit over the casting o...
- The Fast and the furious: Mark Fast casts size 14 ...
- The gaucho club: sass & bide SS10
- The Rutt pack
- Burberry to stream live from London Fashion Week
- Tracy Grimshaw gets the cold shoulder from Twitter...
- F.Tape's Blogger Vision
- Giddy up
- Where's Abbey Lee? Full frontal and dogging for Te...
- Cole Mohr and the trench coat mafia
- The fur is flying in Melbourne, but where the hell...
- ▼ September 2009 (18)
- ► 2008 (229)