Thursday, September 24, 2009
A really quick post to clock the awesomeness that was tonight's 'Welcome to Nowhere' show from Stolen Girlfriends Club. The last show that I saw from this Auckland hipster collective was last year. And while it was well-styled, with a massive turnout, the distressed jeans, cutoff shorts and graphic T-shirts just, well, didn't really seem to have that much of a point of difference to every other jeans-and-t-shirts outfit on the market. Not so this new collection, which seemed to be three parts Little House on the Prairie, one part The Clan of the Cave Bear, with nary a pair of jeans in sight. In their place, some extremely cute, chunky cable knitwear, charming Liberty print western shirts - some with gold pyramid studding - a suite of sweet dresses, including sexy knit singlets and some faux fur chubbies, such as the mulberry version sported by NZ It girl Zippora Seven.
The cast also included rising NZ male modelling star Levi Clarke, who was still 16 in May last year when he starred alongside Seven - also 16 at the time - in a controversial RUSSH magazine editorial. The magazine's depiction of underage models, alcohol and implied sexual activity prompted an investigation by the Australian Classification Board. The matter was eventually dropped.
As frockwriter walked through to backstage, to spot alcohol laid on pre-show, we wondered just how many under-18s might have been on deck. One male model boasted that he had consumed four Steinlagers.
Apologies for the lack of posts from Auckland. I am doing some coverage via Twitter, but sadly that is restricted to the wifi-enabled on-site shows (I was not sufficiently well-organised to sort out a suitable, and cost-effective, off-site alternative).
I am also doing a photo diary for one publication and a city guide for another and find myself extremely short of time. Will post more in the days to come.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- Oyster shelved
- Kate Sylvester once had a mohawk
- Stolen generation
- Nom*D's renegade chic
- Alexandra Owen's bridled passion
- Anaessia's Sue Vanikiotis gets a pat on the back f...
- Myf Shepherd is thinking of taking a break
- Mark Fast's stylist didn't quit over the casting o...
- The Fast and the furious: Mark Fast casts size 14 ...
- The gaucho club: sass & bide SS10
- The Rutt pack
- Burberry to stream live from London Fashion Week
- Tracy Grimshaw gets the cold shoulder from Twitter...
- F.Tape's Blogger Vision
- Giddy up
- Where's Abbey Lee? Full frontal and dogging for Te...
- Cole Mohr and the trench coat mafia
- The fur is flying in Melbourne, but where the hell...
- ▼ September 2009 (18)
- ► 2008 (229)