Tuesday, August 4, 2009
After today's David Jones Spring/Summer 2009/2010 presentation, I made my way backstage to attempt to track down some models and notably, the star, Australian supermod Miranda Kerr. In attempting to secure a one-on-one - which I did eventually, albeit very brief - I wound up tailing Kerr as she attended to a series of press commitments, recording as I went with live streaming video. Here is the series of videos. And apologies for the poor quality. The light backstage in the green room was particularly bad.
First up: a big post-show photocall on the runway with all the photographers, during which Kerr was joined by the retailer's former face, now DJs ambassador, Megan Gale:
Then, a kind of mini press conference backstage in Kerr's private green room, during which Kerr answered questions from the interstate press. After taking notes initially, I thought I would just start recording in the hope that at least Kerr's answers would be audible:
Once the interstate press had cleared out of the green room, a camera crew from Nine's prime time tabloid tv show A Current Affair rocked up to discuss the best place to record Kerr's voiceover for a story that is apparently going to air tonight.
Kerr is the reporter on the story and I was told that in it, she interviews several David Jones parties and designers.
Evidently, there was no time for Kerr to return to the Nine studios to put the voice down, so she was obliged to do it in the field. As do in fact many bona fide reporters. I mentioned to Kerr that Elsa Klensch's producer at CNN once told me that Klensch - who pioneered fashion television news on CNN in the early 1980s - used to put down V/Os for her on-the-road stories in hotel rooms, with a wet towel over her head creating a mini studio.
After traipsing around backstage it was eventually decided that the green room was the best option. I was with the DJs posse so I went in as well. And, quality or no quality, figured it was too good an opportunity to pass up so I flicked the record sitch. At one point, I managed to signal to someone to please turn up the lights so fortunately the light does improve at one point.
On several occasions the producer tutors Kerr vis-à-vis emphasis and also pronunciation, with a debate erupting at one point over her use of the American "zee" instead of the Australian "zed".
Given that the producer spoke with a broad Scottish accent, it was somewhat amusing.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- Andrej 2010
- Fashion's Nordic horror fetish rocks on
- Charlotte Dawson was a Marc Jacobs muse?
- The downunder Allure of Jezebel?
- Anna Wintour on The Late Show with David Letterman...
- Risko business: Melbourne's mod bloggers face off ...
- Wintour on Letterman: "I reckon that makes me luke...
- V Magazine gets a little Norwegian wood
- Auto (model) portraits
- Cassi explores her window of modelling opportunity...
- Talking dressing your age with ABC Adelaide
- Myer backstage at RSFF
- A chat with Tahnee Atkinson at Myer
- A chat with Jennifer Hawkins at Myer
- Seafolly backstage at RSFF
- London Fashion Week snags sass & bide
- Jayson Brunsdon backstage at RSFF
- Kite Tails: First look at the second summer of Gin...
- Rachel Rutt, Sonny Vandevelde gear up for New York...
- Lui Hon: Project Runway Australia’s Voice of Hope
- Leah Howard helps put the Boogie Nights into Bonds...
- Abbey Lee Kershaw disrobes again....for PURPLE
- Four Australians to show in New York
- Props to Myer for welcoming plus size models onto ...
- David Jones's rainbow children
- On the campaign trail with Miranda Kerr
- A chat with Kelvin Harries
- David Jones Spring/Summer 2009/2010
- Out of Vogue: nipple jewellery
- Forget store wars, now it's a social media skirmis...
- Vogue Australia reaches modelling nirvana via Greg...
- Catherine McNeil and Abbey Lee Kershaw steam it up...
- ▼ August 2009 (32)
- ► 2008 (229)