Monday, February 22, 2010
"A visual collision of nature and industry; an all-consuming collective celebrating the drama of contrast and contradiction" is how sass & bide describes its Fall/Winter 2010/2011 'Tomorrow the Great' collection that was shown at London Fashion Week on Friday night. But it seems there was a little too much drama for some, with the glass shard-like invitation, above (which appeared to be echoed in some intriguing saber tooth-shaped metal clutches), reportedly drawing blood from more than one attendee. Let's hope they didn't get any on the collection, which heavily featured white and ecru.
There was lots of embellishment, as we have of course come to expect from boho de luxe queens Heidi Middleton and Sarah-Jane Clarke. On this occasion, they added shell and bone to their already well-rehearsed repertoire of metallic sequins and braids, creating a Pasikifa pastiche of ornamental cummerbunds, capelets and breastplates.
Tarty bodycon microdresses - which would be right at home in the fictitious Russian strip club which apparently inspired the accompanying silver vinylite platform shoes - were counterpointed against demure blouses with Victorian necklines, fluid, full-legged trousers and one stellar ivory sheath with a seed-encrusted yoke.
This is sass & bide's second season back in London after a hiatus of several years showing in New York and the city's rich creative/craft heritage, not to mention its far more personalised show schedule, are a much better fit for the label's quirky cool girl vibe.
collection photos: sass & bide
invitation photo: fashionista
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- Johnny Weir to be Nine Network's RAFW commentator?...
- Prada's curve ball: Fall/Winter 2010/2011 video
- Prada bumps an all skinny cast to include Victoria...
- The Burberry revolution: streaming live, in 3D AND...
- sass & bide's cutting edge chic
- The Pamela Anderson experience
- Julia Nobis lands a Calvin Klein exclusive
- Andrej Pejic Storms London
- McQueen's shoes weren't made for walking, but that...
- "No change" to Alexander McQueen's Paris show date...
- Women are from Venus, Sonny Vandevelde to show at ...
- Christina Carey nabs Marc Jacobs
- Bloggers now account for up to 40percent of some N...
- Luxury fail
- Alexander Wang channels Twilight for FW1011
- Bloggers on the runway at New York Fashion Week?
- McQueen jilted by Australian lover, not his first ...
- Cassi heads to Paris Fashion Week
- IMG source on Gemma Ward: "Her moment's over. She'...
- Vale Alexander McQueen
- Simon Lock out at IMG
- A chat with Miranda Kerr at David Jones
- Print is dead according to Oyster Magazine - which...
- RJ Cutler is shooting Rag & Bone at Fashion Week
- Abbey Lee Kershaw talks to Today Tonight
- Did Armani crib Elton John's sunglasses from World...
- In the swim: Melise Williams
- Samantha Harris leads a new antipodian runway pack...
- Gaga outbuzzes MObama as fashion's hottest term
- ▼ February 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)