getty via daylife
Has there been a fashion force to match Lady Gaga? In terms of outrageous performance factor, surely few have come close. Interesting to see therefore that she just displaced Michelle Obama on Global Language Monitor’s brand new 2010 Fashion Buzzwords list as the fashion world’s most buzzed-about name. Here’s a first look at the yet-to-be-published annual list, which kicks off with Lady Gaga – with MObama dropping to 15th position, down 13 spots from last year. Also of note, “no pants” in third place, which of course go hand in hand, or rather, leg in leg, with Gaga. Frockwriter did have to chuckle at Armadillos coming in at number 10. Some might recall the recent controversy in which Alexander McQueen's extreme shoes recently found themselves mired. Global Language Monitor is an an Austin, Texas-based not-for-profit which tracks and analyses language. Nominated by the global fashion media (including this journalist) the buzzwords were then run through GLM’s "Predictive Quantities Index", a proprietary algorithm that tracks words and phrases in print, electronic and online media. Here's the list.
"1. Lady Gaga - Enigmatic performance artist has had outsized impact on the world of fashion.
2. Leggins 2.0 – Flourishing from Milano to Main Street, leggings are now differentiated as jeggings (jeans + leggings) and meggings (male leggings), and the like.
3. No pants – Hot pants for the 21st Century; not much pant (see Lady GaGa).
4. Off-shoulder – One shoulder and Off-the-shoulder assymetrics are now combined with cutouts, draping, or heritage stylings.
5. Chandeliers - Earrings, that is.
6. Boyfriend (the jacket, jeans etc) – It’s getting to be like an Audrey Hepburn movie out there with boyfriend jackets, jeans and the like.
7. Peek-a-boo – Peek-a-boo fashion is back once again; this time as cutouts.
8. Camo – Camouflage is back, this time with an Urban Jungle vibe.
9. Hippie-luxe – Haute Hippies? That’s the Hippie Luxe movement inspired by the 40th anniversary of that classic New York Daily News headline: “600,000 Hippies Mired in Mud”.
10. Armadillos – Shaped like a lobster, made of Python, and called Armadillos - the highly controversial sculpted shoe designs of Alexander McQueen.
11. Mixed prints – Mixing various print in sometimes surprising ways: florals, tropicals, geometrics, polka dots, psychedelics, modernism-inspired, even plaids.
12. Embellishments – Delicate, all, including ruffles, transparency and tulle.
13. Ethical fashion – Echoes of PETA here. No furs, no armadillos, no leather.
14. Fashion 2.0 - Incorporating streaming techniques that bring designer showcases and shows to the buyers and consumers in real time.
15. MObama – OK, so she wears ‘mom’ jeans, but everyone seems to notice, after all Michelle is The MObama."
Source: Global Language Monitor