Friday, February 26, 2010
Yesterday there were whispers that the Prada cast in Milan might “shake the earth with surprise”. Frockwriter wondered if that might mean Miuccia Prada was planning to include plus sized Crystal Renn? Not quite, but fascinating casting nonetheless and it involves a hell of a lot of Australians. Yes the fashion world was gobsmacked by Balenciaga’s inclusion of Miranda Kerr in its Spring/Summer 2010 show in Paris last September. Well just as frockwriter hinted Kerr might make an appearance in Milan, she has just walked in Prada, alongside two other Victoria's Secret Angels, Doutzen Kroes and Allessandra Ambrosio, not to mention Kerr's compatriots and Chic stablemates Catherine McNeil and Abbey Lee Kershaw. And not forgetting Australia’s hottest new modelling star, Priscilla's Julia Nobis, who, as we reported, scored a Calvin Klein exclusive in New York last week and powered along at London Fashion Week this week, walking for a handful of top shows, including Burberry, Richard Nicoll and Topshop Unique - opening the latter two (and just dubbed a breakout star of the season by New York Magazine). Here is Prada's complete cast list.
None of the Victoria's Secret contract Angels are "plus sized", so let's just put things in perspective here. They are all thinner than "average" women. But they are more voluptuous than your "average" high fashion models, which is why they are in high demand for lingerie and swimwear work.
Catherine McNeil however, interestingly, has not done runway shows for several seasons - because, it has been claimed, she gained weight.
This is not a victory for plus sized models. But it is nonetheless a very interesting move in an area of fashion that is known for its draconian weight regulations and one that is no doubt about to be discussed at length.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- Johnny Weir to be Nine Network's RAFW commentator?...
- Prada's curve ball: Fall/Winter 2010/2011 video
- Prada bumps an all skinny cast to include Victoria...
- The Burberry revolution: streaming live, in 3D AND...
- sass & bide's cutting edge chic
- The Pamela Anderson experience
- Julia Nobis lands a Calvin Klein exclusive
- Andrej Pejic Storms London
- McQueen's shoes weren't made for walking, but that...
- "No change" to Alexander McQueen's Paris show date...
- Women are from Venus, Sonny Vandevelde to show at ...
- Christina Carey nabs Marc Jacobs
- Bloggers now account for up to 40percent of some N...
- Luxury fail
- Alexander Wang channels Twilight for FW1011
- Bloggers on the runway at New York Fashion Week?
- McQueen jilted by Australian lover, not his first ...
- Cassi heads to Paris Fashion Week
- IMG source on Gemma Ward: "Her moment's over. She'...
- Vale Alexander McQueen
- Simon Lock out at IMG
- A chat with Miranda Kerr at David Jones
- Print is dead according to Oyster Magazine - which...
- RJ Cutler is shooting Rag & Bone at Fashion Week
- Abbey Lee Kershaw talks to Today Tonight
- Did Armani crib Elton John's sunglasses from World...
- In the swim: Melise Williams
- Samantha Harris leads a new antipodian runway pack...
- Gaga outbuzzes MObama as fashion's hottest term
- ▼ February 2010 (29)
- ► 2009 (415)
- ► 2008 (229)