Wednesday, January 21, 2009
the fashion calendar via coacd
Well if the first draft version of New York’s Fashion Calendar is anything to go by, that could be the case. The Fall/Winter 0910 runway season is due to kick off in New York in three weeks. And not counting expat Michael Angel, who lives in New York and therefore does not have to schlep a collection and entourage across to the other side of the world, there is not one Australian name there. UPDATE 23/01/09: Toni Maticevski is showing off-schedule at 5pm on February 16th at the Altman Building. That's according to his Australian publicist Trish Nicoll. Why is the show not listed on the Fashion Calendar, the so-called Bible of New York Fashion Week, which is carefully vetted by all industry players as it represents the only roadmap to the hundreds of shows which take place all over town? That's a mystery according to Nicoll, who says that Maticevski paid his registration fee. Whether the mistake was made by the Fashion Calendar or the designer's New York PR office, Factory PR, remains to be seen. Given the current economic climate - and the fact that five other brands already share Maticevski's timeslot - it's an unfortunate oversight.
Aurelio Costarella recently told a Perth newspaper he is ditching The Big Apple; Jayson Brunsdon already missed last season. And much was recently made of sass & bide’s decision to forgo a show – for the second consecutive season – claiming the timing is not a good fit with Sarah-Jane Clarke's new baby.
It’s a far cry from 2006, when Australia's New York Fashion Week invasion was at its peak, with the event boasting a half dozen Oz names.
Unless some are still toying with plans however, in the current economic climate is anyone really surprised?
Even a number of American designers have announced that they are swapping runway shows for smaller, and obviously cheaper, static presentations.
Kiwi Karen Walker is nevertheless soldiering on regardless (February 14) and as already reported, Josh Goot is due to show for the second time at London Fashion Week on February 24th.
And it’s not only Australian designers who may be thin thin on the ground over there. The local PR rep for Calvin Klein reports that she has not yet managed to identify a single Australian media rep who is heading over.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- The haunting of Carla Bruni-Sarkozy
- Grandmaster flesh and the furious hive mind: The a...
- The Bogan - from Logan?
- Girt by HC
- An embarrassment of riches
- Model ID fail @ ACP
- From the Cobrasnake to the couture
- Caveman of the fashion apocalypse
- Did someone give Kim Noorda The Pip?
- Nothing comes between Courtney, Missy, Myf and the...
- Before Jason Wu dressed the First Lady, he dressed...
- No Australians heading to New York Fashion Week?
- Michelle Obama recalls the Reagan, not Kennedy, er...
- The Devil wears a Q&A @ Sundance, Elle Driver to d...
- And baby makes five
- Lara Stone's bloody Valentine
- The Myf mystery: Bound for the cover of Paris Vogu...
- Battle of the skeletors: Katie vs Posh
- Did someone give Cameron Diaz The Pip?
- Golden Globes - live (kinda) from the red carpet!
- Fat load of good: The Telegraph's yo-yo reporting ...
- Nicole Trunfio settles into her new role as model ...
- Nicole Trunfio, tv star
- Big boys' toys
- Dude, where's my career?
- O what a tangled Web
- Cornish (fashion) language
- The shows to go on for Hoppy McNeil
- Abbey Lee's Gucci x 4
- McBeha on the Park
- ▼ January 2009 (31)
- ► 2008 (229)