Monday, January 5, 2009
“i want to be in the next Balenciaga campaign. And im really impatient, and feel like sitting here on the computer all afternoon is such a waste of time and i need to be doing more. But everyone in my house is doing the same thing right now. I guess everyone is human and the thought of another party right now, for once does not interest me. (I mean its not like Pip, Dangerous, Cat, Natedog, MattSaville, Mikey, etc all my other fun people) are in the house to make me definately think otherwise about starting a Half Party)”. So wrote Stephanie Carta on her Magna Carta blog on November 3.
An erstwhile muse of Balenciaga designer Nicolas Ghesquière – and a two-time runway model for the 2008 shows of the venerated French fashion house – such was the strength of Carta’s second international show season, models.com nominated her as one of SS09’s Top 10 Newcomers in October.
Sadly, while Carta did make Balenciaga’s SS09 show, reportedly she has not made the SS09 ad campaign - which is said nevertheless to boast 10 other models.
And nor it appears may Carta have scored any SS09 campaigns – unlike her compatriots Catherine McNeil, Abbey Lee Kershaw, Myf Shepherd and Alice Burdeu.
As a consolation prize, and in tandem with her buddy, Tallullah “Party” Morton, Carta has become a regular star on the party photoblog of Mark "The Cobrasnake" Hunter. Including this delightful cameo (^) from last week's ksubi/Cobrasnake/Steve Aoki et co NYE party at Kings Cross nightclub Club 77.
In The Cobrasnake shot, Carta appears as a caricature of what everyone imagines to be wrong with the modelling business.
Perhaps taken at an (extremely) unflattering angle, Carta looks not only underweight (which is awkward in light of the weight controversy in which she found herself embroiled in Sydney last year), but totally off her face.
The party occurred of course during Carta’s downtime, while she is, like many other models, enjoying a summer vacation.
This afternoon I asked another photographer his position on the ethics of photographing those who may be momentarily mentally incapacitated due to the effects of alcohol or other substances.
Hunter is documenting the international party scene, came the response. And makes, by all accounts, a handsome living out of doing so.
If anyone walks in front of Hunter's lens, said my photographer, Hunter is entitled to shoot them regardless – and publish those shots on his high traffic website.
This is irrespective, he noted, of whether or not the subject happens to be professional model with an image to maintain. Or even a friend.
Carta cannot claim that she does not know who Hunter is, because she has appeared in previous Cobrasnake party reportages.
At 23, Carta is also most definitely a consenting adult.
Hunter is reporting the news, in other words.
And sometimes, of course, it's not pretty.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- The haunting of Carla Bruni-Sarkozy
- Grandmaster flesh and the furious hive mind: The a...
- The Bogan - from Logan?
- Girt by HC
- An embarrassment of riches
- Model ID fail @ ACP
- From the Cobrasnake to the couture
- Caveman of the fashion apocalypse
- Did someone give Kim Noorda The Pip?
- Nothing comes between Courtney, Missy, Myf and the...
- Before Jason Wu dressed the First Lady, he dressed...
- No Australians heading to New York Fashion Week?
- Michelle Obama recalls the Reagan, not Kennedy, er...
- The Devil wears a Q&A @ Sundance, Elle Driver to d...
- And baby makes five
- Lara Stone's bloody Valentine
- The Myf mystery: Bound for the cover of Paris Vogu...
- Battle of the skeletors: Katie vs Posh
- Did someone give Cameron Diaz The Pip?
- Golden Globes - live (kinda) from the red carpet!
- Fat load of good: The Telegraph's yo-yo reporting ...
- Nicole Trunfio settles into her new role as model ...
- Nicole Trunfio, tv star
- Big boys' toys
- Dude, where's my career?
- O what a tangled Web
- Cornish (fashion) language
- The shows to go on for Hoppy McNeil
- Abbey Lee's Gucci x 4
- McBeha on the Park
- ▼ January 2009 (31)
- ► 2008 (229)