Tuesday, February 3, 2009
michelle obama rocks H&M/nitrolicious
Global Language Monitor is an Austin, Texas-based not-for-profit which tracks and analyses language. Back in July frockwriter provided a preview of the organisation's Top Fashion Cities of 2008 - on which list Sydney ranked seventh after New York, Rome, Paris, Milan, London and Los Angeles. Well now here is a preview of GLM's just-about-to-launch Fashion Buzzwords of Fall/Winter 09/10. Words were nominated by the global fashion media and then run through GLM’s Predictive Quantities Index, a proprietary algorithm that tracks words and phrases in print, electronic and online media. Perhaps not surprisingly in this dire economic climate, Chiconomics - or how to dress well on a budget - is number #1. Michelle Obama comes in at number #2.
We have yet to see Obama sporting any gladiators (#5), one of the biggest shoe trends in quite some time. Obama is nevertheless a Recessionista (#6) who is well versed in Chiconomics, having championed looks from fast fashion (#15) retailers such as J Crew and H&M throughout Barack Obama's presidential campaign.
Designer fashion does get a lookin on the list however.
Lemongrass, the colour of the wool lace coat and dress made by Isabel Toledo for Michelle Obama to wear on January 22nd, comes in at number #10.
And the Series 4 winner of US Project Runway, Christian Siriano, makes the list at number #8 thanks to his trademark "ferosh" - a term Siriano coined to describe any fashion look that is particularly strong and which is now on high rotation across the fashion blogosphere.
Pretty sure this is a world preview.
2. Michelle Obama
9. Shoe Boot
13. On Trend
15. Fast Fashion
16. Fruit Salad (or Macedonian/mixed prints)
17. Tie-dyed silk
18. Muffin top
SOURCE: GLOBAL LANGUAGE MONITOR
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- Sonny Vandevelde backstage at Burberry
- Mesdames Butterfly
- D&G live
- The power of hubris: Should Bonds' charity have be...
- Blue crush
- Swim Fashion Week: Zimmermann
- AWOL from the runways, Alice Burdeu to resurface o...
- Swim Fashion Week: Seventh Wonderland
- Josh Goot's space cadets
- Oscars 2009 - Best In Show
- Oscars 2009 - Best Meringues
- Oscars 2009 - Best Bonbonniere
- Oscars 2009 - live (kinda) from the red carpet
- Grand central: Zac Posen's 50-finger discount
- The Personal Urban Transporter: Chanel's new mobil...
- At 14 this Polish teenager was banned from RAFW. T...
- Sonny Vandevelde backstage at Toni Maticevski
- Prêt-à-Twitter: Barefoot finale @ Brian Reyes
- Prêt-à-Twitter: First look @ Calvin Klein
- Legs 7-Eleven
- All you need is glove
- From the Cobrasnake to Narciso Rodriguez
- The trompe l'oeil necklace trend - it never ends!
- Gagging for it: GQ's "hottest Australian supermode...
- Let them eat Rodarte
- Punk'd: Marc Jacobs Blitzes NYFW with a neon-brigh...
- Prêt-à-Twitter: Backstage @ Marc Jacobs
- It's funny how NYFW is starting to resemble RAFW
- Make me a Victoria's Secret model
- Jessica Gomes turns up the Swim Fashion Week heat
- Banned in Sydney, breakthrough in New York
- Karen Walker's pearl protocol
- A new media day dawns @ NYFW
- The Exit strategy of Jason Wu
- New York Fashion Week - the 97% fat free version
- Black Saturday - the retail response
- Grazia stops the press
- Blue jean babies
- Swim Fashion Week: First look at the schedule
- The Sunday Telegraph checks up on "this frockwrite...
- London Fashion Week turns 25, goes to ELLE
- Serpentine gallery
- Rod Blagojevich, fashion icon?
- Yes we can do without: Top Fashion Buzzwords of 20...
- Gutter photojournalism: Zippora Seven hops on the ...
- Coco Fan Tutte
- ▼ February 2009 (50)
- ► 2008 (229)