Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Well the shows roll on in New York, with yet more reports of empty front row seats – even at Monday night’s Marc Jacobs show, which as frockwriter reported almost the minute it happened, started early. Jacobs shows off-schedule at the Lexington Armory (where his Marc by Marc Jacobs show just wrapped). In spite of IMG's claims that show numbers are on par with previous seasons, the IMG-operated Bryant Park tent setup seems particularly hard hit, perhaps due to the additional costs of showing there. Yesterday we reported one show-goer referring to the tents as “dead” due to schedule gaps. Just in, this Tweet from Mediabistro/fishbowlNY managing editor Rebecca Leigh Fox that on Tuesday, the “Bryant Park tents were no-(wo)man's land this am-think i saw tumbleweed roll by even w/ Badgley Mischka seating. cue recession wails”. Rodarte also shows off-schedule, but given that the designers, Kate and Laura Mulleavy, won the 100,000 euro Swiss Textiles Award (A$198,362) in November (and with additional $ from Swarovski), they are not as cash-strapped as some other emerging American fashion names.
Click here to see the video of their beautiful FW0910 collection, a near single-note sonata of hand-crafted, heavily embellished - and incredibly short - dresses, every last outfit teamed with some remarkable rumpled leather legging boots by Nicholas Kirkwood.
Noone fell this time (unlike last season) - just a stumble at 5.51 as one girl heads backstage.
This level of craftsmanship is however sure to engender sticker shock.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- Sonny Vandevelde backstage at Burberry
- Mesdames Butterfly
- D&G live
- The power of hubris: Should Bonds' charity have be...
- Blue crush
- Swim Fashion Week: Zimmermann
- AWOL from the runways, Alice Burdeu to resurface o...
- Swim Fashion Week: Seventh Wonderland
- Josh Goot's space cadets
- Oscars 2009 - Best In Show
- Oscars 2009 - Best Meringues
- Oscars 2009 - Best Bonbonniere
- Oscars 2009 - live (kinda) from the red carpet
- Grand central: Zac Posen's 50-finger discount
- The Personal Urban Transporter: Chanel's new mobil...
- At 14 this Polish teenager was banned from RAFW. T...
- Sonny Vandevelde backstage at Toni Maticevski
- Prêt-à-Twitter: Barefoot finale @ Brian Reyes
- Prêt-à-Twitter: First look @ Calvin Klein
- Legs 7-Eleven
- All you need is glove
- From the Cobrasnake to Narciso Rodriguez
- The trompe l'oeil necklace trend - it never ends!
- Gagging for it: GQ's "hottest Australian supermode...
- Let them eat Rodarte
- Punk'd: Marc Jacobs Blitzes NYFW with a neon-brigh...
- Prêt-à-Twitter: Backstage @ Marc Jacobs
- It's funny how NYFW is starting to resemble RAFW
- Make me a Victoria's Secret model
- Jessica Gomes turns up the Swim Fashion Week heat
- Banned in Sydney, breakthrough in New York
- Karen Walker's pearl protocol
- A new media day dawns @ NYFW
- The Exit strategy of Jason Wu
- New York Fashion Week - the 97% fat free version
- Black Saturday - the retail response
- Grazia stops the press
- Blue jean babies
- Swim Fashion Week: First look at the schedule
- The Sunday Telegraph checks up on "this frockwrite...
- London Fashion Week turns 25, goes to ELLE
- Serpentine gallery
- Rod Blagojevich, fashion icon?
- Yes we can do without: Top Fashion Buzzwords of 20...
- Gutter photojournalism: Zippora Seven hops on the ...
- Coco Fan Tutte
- ▼ February 2009 (50)
- ► 2008 (229)