Camilla and Marc Freeman/vogue.com.au
According to today’s Observer newspaper in the UK they are.
The Sydney fashion siblings are ranked 3rd and 4th in the paper’s Top 50 “Summer 08 Cool List”, beaten only by Brit tv host Alexa Chung – who is described as “the Kate Moss of teen tv” - and author/filmmaker Miranda July.
The Freemans’ five year-old fashion label may be sold by such influential retailers as net-a-porter.com, but it’s nevertheless a pretty big rap given some of the other, far more heavily-hyped hipsters who appear much lower down the list:
• Facehunter blogger Yvan Rodic (7)
• Model Irina Lazareanu (21)
• Photographer Matt Irwin (28)
• MisShapes frontwoman Leigh Lezark (29)
• Dazed & Confused creative director Nicola Formichetti (31)
• BoomBox and Ponystep founder Richard Mortimer (34)
• Model Jourdan Dunn (37)
• British knitwear designer Claire Tough (38)
• French actress/sisters Lou Doillon, Charlotte Gainsbourg (42/43)
• British designer JJ Hudson aka Noki (44)
• Brazil's Cansei de Ser Sexy frontwoman Lovefoxx (46)
• Hintmag founder Lee Carter (48)
Other Australasian hipsters may be disappointed to have been overlooked. The list does include two additional antipodians, however they’re not in fashion.
Summer Heights funnyman Chris Lilley ranks #30 – while London-based Kiwi songstress Pip Brown, aka Ladyhawke, ranks #41.