Tuesday, July 15, 2008
All the Kurban speculation provided the perfect opportunity to share with you one of my all-time favourite stores: a tiny little crafts shop in Bowral. If, like me, you love toys (anyone interested in Japanese vinyl might have spotted a few friends behind me in this pic) would probably love Bowral Crafts Unlimited.
Operating in Bowral for, I gather, something like 35 years, the shop has for some time been located in Corbett Plaza. In fact it's directly opposite Belinda Seper's new florist/homewares store Twig & Blossom:
Run by a cooperative of local volunteers, with all profits going back to the Bowral Hospital or various charities, Bowral Crafts Unlimited sells the most adorable, locally-made knitted dolls and toys, childrenswear and other country fare such as biscuits and jams.
The shop also sells wool and knitting patterns. For the tricot-challenged, you can organise to have something specially-knitted by one of the laydees. Front window display:
All up, this little gem of a shop is like something out of a bygone era.
I have bought more than one baby and bridal shower gift here. I love going in there because it's so charming.
The dolls in particular are beautiful - knitted from top-to-toe, often with the most intricate outfits. This one is two-dolls-in-one, turning upside down to reveal a completely different doll:
The dolls are priced from $15-35, which is fairly extraordinary given both the work involved and the likelihood that most are one-offs.
Some pretentious Sydney childrens store would mark stuff like this up to the wazoo - and even then it would probably be made in wherever, on a production line.
The volunteers who were on deck when I popped in yesterday were all chatting about Kidman.
Noted Hazel McGregor (above): "I really hope she comes in one day - and brings the baby".
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Tallulah rising - on COACD
- The topless international debut of Ellie Ross
- Josh Goot to show at London Fashion Week - accordi...
- Abbey Lee gets on her high horse
- "If it doesn't fit, it can never be fashion" - Pet...
- Iekeliene Stange on skinny models, babymodels - an...
- NY mag might have been "ragging" on Tavi - but it ...
- Sarah Stephens: Attempts explanation of "dag" to N...
- Beth Ditto on SHOWstudio
- Tavi the Style Rookie - she might not have legs, b...
- sass & bide's page one
- Alice McCall heads to NY Fashion Week - one of jus...
- Is Tavi the world's youngest fashion blogger?
- Nicole Trunfio: Anointed by Vogue, trashed by Murd...
- Neryl Walker: Censored by Angostura, blessed by Co...
- There's no other store - for anyone over 18 - like...
- Simon Wood - global authority on kicks
- Is Micky the new Kylie?
- Zimmermann in Miami
- Speaking of NZ models....meet supernova Olivia O'D...
- The Tatiana mystery: Is Kiwi Jenna Sauers Jezebel'...
- Vale Mark Keighery
- Brunsdon on Project Runway, the Brana factor - and...
- Kurban country - the neighbours blab
- Kirrily and Moët jump the pond to Auckland
- Polly Borland @ Murray White
- Urban Outfitters marks down Lagerfeld - turns him ...
- Collette's page one
- Model blogs and blacklists
- Something for Sunday?
- Kurban country
- Apparently The Sydney Morning Herald reads frockwr...
- Sydney emerges as world's 7th Top Fashion City - n...
- Meanwhile....back in the Big Apple
- Tallulah rising - and having an Absolut ball
- Cold Mountain, the reality show
- Sydney Chamber of Commerce on fashion: "Not releva...
- Girlfriend Model Search: The plait thickens
- The Girlfriend Model Search: Level playing field -...
- Australia's Next Top (male) Model
- Belinda Seper on Bowral's "jeans of no fashionable...
- Maggie T on the pink tracksuit trend: "WTF??"
- The Walkley Magazine
- Project Runway's Bryanboy/Suzy Menkes love child??...
- The Miro Supremacy
- Camilla and Marc cooler than Irina, Lovefoxx and L...
- Independence Day
- From Goot to Gaultier? Tallulah rising
- Hello world, this is not John Laws
- ▼ July 2008 (49)