Monday, July 7, 2008
Miro in Bondi rocking Puma RS 100's, Armani Exchange and A&F T.
Uncross your legs Bryant Park! Miro is heading your way. And no, I'm not referring to designers Antonio or Elena Miro, or even the new Joan Miro art exhibit slated for November at MoMa. I'm talking Miro Kubicek, better-known in Australian fashion circles as the Russian emigre, Jason Bourne-lookalike, Australian Fashion Week seat Nazi. We bumped into each other at Speedo's in Bondi yesterday and he let slip that he's Bryant Park-bound for New York's SS09 shows in September, with a permanent Manhattan move slated for April.
Miro, who runs his own Miro House front-of-house/red carpet/seating management company in Sydney, has consulted to AFW's new owner, IMG, for the past three years, taking over where the much-loved John Flower left off in 2006.
His promo video, cut to the Justin Timberlake/Timbaland toon SexyBack - with hilarious, occasional "Miro House" voiceovers in his sultry Eurotrash drawl - shows the former underwear model in action amongst models and celebs, talking into a Janet Jackson headpiece.
Given Miro's possible former eastern block special forces operative past (he won't be drawn on his background, other than to say growing up in Czechoslovakia was "rough"), he's in his element in more ways than one.
The SS09 shows won't be Miro's first international IMG gig. In August he had a trial run helping out at the inaugural Hong Kong Fashion Week.
One might assume Miro could also help out at the IMG-operated Miami Swim and LA Fashion Week events. Given his language skills - he's apparently fluent in Russian, Czech and German - possibly also Europe, where IMG already runs Berlin Fashion Week (with designs apparently also on Moscow and a few other spots).
IMG FASHION's senior vice prez Fern Mallis and suave PR director Zach "Iceman" Eichman, must have been impressed when they were both out for our SS0809 shows.
Having seen Eichman in action on numerous occasions wrangling a thousand paps, tv crews, Demi, Ashton and co, I think Miro could make a brilliant wingman
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Tallulah rising - on COACD
- The topless international debut of Ellie Ross
- Josh Goot to show at London Fashion Week - accordi...
- Abbey Lee gets on her high horse
- "If it doesn't fit, it can never be fashion" - Pet...
- Iekeliene Stange on skinny models, babymodels - an...
- NY mag might have been "ragging" on Tavi - but it ...
- Sarah Stephens: Attempts explanation of "dag" to N...
- Beth Ditto on SHOWstudio
- Tavi the Style Rookie - she might not have legs, b...
- sass & bide's page one
- Alice McCall heads to NY Fashion Week - one of jus...
- Is Tavi the world's youngest fashion blogger?
- Nicole Trunfio: Anointed by Vogue, trashed by Murd...
- Neryl Walker: Censored by Angostura, blessed by Co...
- There's no other store - for anyone over 18 - like...
- Simon Wood - global authority on kicks
- Is Micky the new Kylie?
- Zimmermann in Miami
- Speaking of NZ models....meet supernova Olivia O'D...
- The Tatiana mystery: Is Kiwi Jenna Sauers Jezebel'...
- Vale Mark Keighery
- Brunsdon on Project Runway, the Brana factor - and...
- Kurban country - the neighbours blab
- Kirrily and Moët jump the pond to Auckland
- Polly Borland @ Murray White
- Urban Outfitters marks down Lagerfeld - turns him ...
- Collette's page one
- Model blogs and blacklists
- Something for Sunday?
- Kurban country
- Apparently The Sydney Morning Herald reads frockwr...
- Sydney emerges as world's 7th Top Fashion City - n...
- Meanwhile....back in the Big Apple
- Tallulah rising - and having an Absolut ball
- Cold Mountain, the reality show
- Sydney Chamber of Commerce on fashion: "Not releva...
- Girlfriend Model Search: The plait thickens
- The Girlfriend Model Search: Level playing field -...
- Australia's Next Top (male) Model
- Belinda Seper on Bowral's "jeans of no fashionable...
- Maggie T on the pink tracksuit trend: "WTF??"
- The Walkley Magazine
- Project Runway's Bryanboy/Suzy Menkes love child??...
- The Miro Supremacy
- Camilla and Marc cooler than Irina, Lovefoxx and L...
- Independence Day
- From Goot to Gaultier? Tallulah rising
- Hello world, this is not John Laws
- ▼ July 2008 (49)