Monday, July 7, 2008
OMG!Just this afternoon, the Beebster and I were plotting fashion shenanigans and he happened to share with me a photo of his own recent personal homage to queen fashion scribe, The International Herald Tribune's Suzy Menkes. A matter of hours later, the first EP of Project Runway Australia hit the airwaves and who should jump out of my television screen but Sydney underwear designer, and BB/Menkes hybrid clone, Brisbane-based Filipino Mark Antonio (pictured above).
Suzy Menkes and Bryanboy. Which is which?
What's going on?? Is Bryanboy taking over the world as we know it? Did Imelda have anything to do with it? Or did the producers simply hunt down the most flamboyant, diminutive mincer with There's Something About Mary hair in a bid to match the feroshness of the winner of Season 4 of the US version, Christian Siriano - and he just happened to be Filipino?
Mentor - and Max Headroom dead ringer - Henry Roth.
Either way, Antonio proved one of the most entertaining contestants thus far, alongside the winner of EP #1, Leigh Buchanan and the uppity, self-taught dressmaker Helen Manuell, who refers to herself as "the frocker" - and who appears to be at the epicentre of some EP #2 drama, at least according to the teasers.
Will the show work downunder? Hard to say at this stage.
With just glamazon host Kristy Hinze and the models to mince about in lowcut dresses, the show's babe quotient is significantly lower than ANTM's - but then who said straight men are the ones who are going to clinch the ratings?
One thing is for sure, fashion has never fared well on Australian television. At least not on the commercial networks, whose producers always attempt to dumb things down to make fashion appeal to what they, in their expert opinions, firmly believe the masses want. Thereby stripping the subject of its vital aspirational component.
Then they wonder why the shows don't work.
Of course, if Project Runway proves to be a raging success - you can expect one of the commercial networks to rip off the concept pronto.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Tallulah rising - on COACD
- The topless international debut of Ellie Ross
- Josh Goot to show at London Fashion Week - accordi...
- Abbey Lee gets on her high horse
- "If it doesn't fit, it can never be fashion" - Pet...
- Iekeliene Stange on skinny models, babymodels - an...
- NY mag might have been "ragging" on Tavi - but it ...
- Sarah Stephens: Attempts explanation of "dag" to N...
- Beth Ditto on SHOWstudio
- Tavi the Style Rookie - she might not have legs, b...
- sass & bide's page one
- Alice McCall heads to NY Fashion Week - one of jus...
- Is Tavi the world's youngest fashion blogger?
- Nicole Trunfio: Anointed by Vogue, trashed by Murd...
- Neryl Walker: Censored by Angostura, blessed by Co...
- There's no other store - for anyone over 18 - like...
- Simon Wood - global authority on kicks
- Is Micky the new Kylie?
- Zimmermann in Miami
- Speaking of NZ models....meet supernova Olivia O'D...
- The Tatiana mystery: Is Kiwi Jenna Sauers Jezebel'...
- Vale Mark Keighery
- Brunsdon on Project Runway, the Brana factor - and...
- Kurban country - the neighbours blab
- Kirrily and Moët jump the pond to Auckland
- Polly Borland @ Murray White
- Urban Outfitters marks down Lagerfeld - turns him ...
- Collette's page one
- Model blogs and blacklists
- Something for Sunday?
- Kurban country
- Apparently The Sydney Morning Herald reads frockwr...
- Sydney emerges as world's 7th Top Fashion City - n...
- Meanwhile....back in the Big Apple
- Tallulah rising - and having an Absolut ball
- Cold Mountain, the reality show
- Sydney Chamber of Commerce on fashion: "Not releva...
- Girlfriend Model Search: The plait thickens
- The Girlfriend Model Search: Level playing field -...
- Australia's Next Top (male) Model
- Belinda Seper on Bowral's "jeans of no fashionable...
- Maggie T on the pink tracksuit trend: "WTF??"
- The Walkley Magazine
- Project Runway's Bryanboy/Suzy Menkes love child??...
- The Miro Supremacy
- Camilla and Marc cooler than Irina, Lovefoxx and L...
- Independence Day
- From Goot to Gaultier? Tallulah rising
- Hello world, this is not John Laws
- ▼ July 2008 (49)