Friday, July 4, 2008
Tallulah Morton in Jean Paul Gaultier's FW0809 haute couture show, July 2nd/Style.com
Balenciaga's Nicolas Ghesquière has Stephanie Carta. Could compatriot French designer Jean Paul Gaultier also be going for an Oz model muse in Tallulah Morton? Three years after the now 16 year-old first emerged at Australian Fashion Week, opening Josh Goot's debut AFW show, Morton appeared in not one but two Gaultier shows in Paris over the past week.
First up, she was one of a handful of female models in JGP's SS09 menswear show. Then on Wednesday, Morton walked in his haute couture show [above^].
Morton moved to Paris in February and is now repped there by the Marilyn agency. She walked in an impressive ten FW0809 shows in her first Paris season, including Christian Dior, Ungaro, Kenzo, John Galliano, Hussein Chalayan, Gaultier and also Hermès, whose creative director is of course....Gaultier.
This now makes in fact four Gaultier shows for Morton in the space of four months.
According to Vikki Graham, who heads up Morton's Sydney mother agency Scene Models, Morton was recently handpicked by Gaultier to appear in an upcoming Hermès retrospective editorial feature in Paris.
Graham reports there is quite some new Morton fashion editorial about to hit the stands, including Italian fashion magazines Muse and Velvet. Morton is due to appear on the latter's August/September cover and in 18 pages of editorial.
After her appearance at Goot's AFW debut - and tipped as "the next Gemma Ward" - the subsequently much-hyped Morton appeared in a multitude of Australian fashion editorials and advertising campaigns.
In September 2006, when she was still only 14, she made her international runway debut at the SS07 shows in New York. Two weeks later she failed to show up on the European runways.
According to Graham this was primarily due to the restrictions imposed on under-16 models in Europe, notably Paris.
With models such as Tanya D working steadily across the world from the age of 14 however, it is clearly not impossible for under-16s to get the appropriate paperwork cleared.
In Paris that season, one casting source told me that he believed the real reason why Morton failed to take off on the Paris runways was because she was "too chunky".
Experience is increasingly dictating of course that in Paris/Milan model biz speak, "too chunky" may be code for "you don't look anorexic".
So, did Morton "tone up" as they say in the modelling biz? Or has she simply finally emerged in the right place at the right time?
According to Graham there were never any weight issues. Morton lost "maximum two kilos" prior to her Paris move, said Graham, but that was due to a new training regime.
"It was more about trying top get her into toning up her teenage body and getting her into good [eating] habits" noted Graham. "Not a single agency said to me that she needs to lose weight".
She added, "What they all said was, 'Get her here as soon as you can'".
Web links to this post:
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Tallulah rising - on COACD
- The topless international debut of Ellie Ross
- Josh Goot to show at London Fashion Week - accordi...
- Abbey Lee gets on her high horse
- "If it doesn't fit, it can never be fashion" - Pet...
- Iekeliene Stange on skinny models, babymodels - an...
- NY mag might have been "ragging" on Tavi - but it ...
- Sarah Stephens: Attempts explanation of "dag" to N...
- Beth Ditto on SHOWstudio
- Tavi the Style Rookie - she might not have legs, b...
- sass & bide's page one
- Alice McCall heads to NY Fashion Week - one of jus...
- Is Tavi the world's youngest fashion blogger?
- Nicole Trunfio: Anointed by Vogue, trashed by Murd...
- Neryl Walker: Censored by Angostura, blessed by Co...
- There's no other store - for anyone over 18 - like...
- Simon Wood - global authority on kicks
- Is Micky the new Kylie?
- Zimmermann in Miami
- Speaking of NZ models....meet supernova Olivia O'D...
- The Tatiana mystery: Is Kiwi Jenna Sauers Jezebel'...
- Vale Mark Keighery
- Brunsdon on Project Runway, the Brana factor - and...
- Kurban country - the neighbours blab
- Kirrily and Moët jump the pond to Auckland
- Polly Borland @ Murray White
- Urban Outfitters marks down Lagerfeld - turns him ...
- Collette's page one
- Model blogs and blacklists
- Something for Sunday?
- Kurban country
- Apparently The Sydney Morning Herald reads frockwr...
- Sydney emerges as world's 7th Top Fashion City - n...
- Meanwhile....back in the Big Apple
- Tallulah rising - and having an Absolut ball
- Cold Mountain, the reality show
- Sydney Chamber of Commerce on fashion: "Not releva...
- Girlfriend Model Search: The plait thickens
- The Girlfriend Model Search: Level playing field -...
- Australia's Next Top (male) Model
- Belinda Seper on Bowral's "jeans of no fashionable...
- Maggie T on the pink tracksuit trend: "WTF??"
- The Walkley Magazine
- Project Runway's Bryanboy/Suzy Menkes love child??...
- The Miro Supremacy
- Camilla and Marc cooler than Irina, Lovefoxx and L...
- Independence Day
- From Goot to Gaultier? Tallulah rising
- Hello world, this is not John Laws
- ▼ July 2008 (49)