Friday, July 18, 2008
I was saddened to learn of the death of MARCS founder Mark Keighery, who passed away last night at Sydney’s Royal Prince Alfred Hospital at age 53, following an almost decade-long battle with cancer.
I didn’t know Keighery well, but I had certainly interviewed him on more than one occasion over the years. He seemed like a really nice guy. He was, without doubt, one of the pioneers of the modern Australian sportswear industry.
Keighery launched his company in 1979 at the age of 24, importing international fashion labels.
The stable would eventually embrace blue chip brands such as Yohji Yamamoto, Issey Miyake, John Smedley, John Richmond, Dries Van Noten and of course Diesel, which Keighery helped build into a streetwear powerhouse in this market.
But it was Keighery's own label which made the biggest mark on Australian fashion.
It was launched with the simple idea of man’s shirt made from non-traditional men’s shirt materials: women’s dress fabrics. And the idea provided the foundation for a mens and womens sportswear retail business with estimated sales of A$45-57million in 2002, at the time he sold the MARCS component for a reported A$22million in order to concentrate on his health.
The MARCS shingle hangs today over 38 Australian boutiques, a combination of standalones and stores-within-stores within both David Jones and Myer.
He is survived by his wife Lisa and sons Jack and Harry.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Tallulah rising - on COACD
- The topless international debut of Ellie Ross
- Josh Goot to show at London Fashion Week - accordi...
- Abbey Lee gets on her high horse
- "If it doesn't fit, it can never be fashion" - Pet...
- Iekeliene Stange on skinny models, babymodels - an...
- NY mag might have been "ragging" on Tavi - but it ...
- Sarah Stephens: Attempts explanation of "dag" to N...
- Beth Ditto on SHOWstudio
- Tavi the Style Rookie - she might not have legs, b...
- sass & bide's page one
- Alice McCall heads to NY Fashion Week - one of jus...
- Is Tavi the world's youngest fashion blogger?
- Nicole Trunfio: Anointed by Vogue, trashed by Murd...
- Neryl Walker: Censored by Angostura, blessed by Co...
- There's no other store - for anyone over 18 - like...
- Simon Wood - global authority on kicks
- Is Micky the new Kylie?
- Zimmermann in Miami
- Speaking of NZ models....meet supernova Olivia O'D...
- The Tatiana mystery: Is Kiwi Jenna Sauers Jezebel'...
- Vale Mark Keighery
- Brunsdon on Project Runway, the Brana factor - and...
- Kurban country - the neighbours blab
- Kirrily and Moët jump the pond to Auckland
- Polly Borland @ Murray White
- Urban Outfitters marks down Lagerfeld - turns him ...
- Collette's page one
- Model blogs and blacklists
- Something for Sunday?
- Kurban country
- Apparently The Sydney Morning Herald reads frockwr...
- Sydney emerges as world's 7th Top Fashion City - n...
- Meanwhile....back in the Big Apple
- Tallulah rising - and having an Absolut ball
- Cold Mountain, the reality show
- Sydney Chamber of Commerce on fashion: "Not releva...
- Girlfriend Model Search: The plait thickens
- The Girlfriend Model Search: Level playing field -...
- Australia's Next Top (male) Model
- Belinda Seper on Bowral's "jeans of no fashionable...
- Maggie T on the pink tracksuit trend: "WTF??"
- The Walkley Magazine
- Project Runway's Bryanboy/Suzy Menkes love child??...
- The Miro Supremacy
- Camilla and Marc cooler than Irina, Lovefoxx and L...
- Independence Day
- From Goot to Gaultier? Tallulah rising
- Hello world, this is not John Laws
- ▼ July 2008 (49)