Saturday, September 6, 2008
Here's new white hot Oz module Myf Shepherd backstage at Alice McCall's debut New York Fashion Week show, which was scheduled to take place at 8.00am this morning Sydney time.
Judging by Sonny Vandevelde's backstage shots, either he ditched Victor Glemaud for McCall for Hintmag - or did a mad dash between the two.
No idea at this stage what, if any, other shows Shepherd has done, but I will update. One thing's for sure however, if Alice McCall was her first SS09 show, it's not going to be her last.
McCall's SS09 collection was inspired, the designer told various media outlets, by insects.
Click here to see the complete collection on wwd.com.
A strong New York debut and a confident return after a 14-month runway hiatus for McCall, during which time she had a baby.
McCall has so far only shown her collections in London and Sydney, so it’s good to see her stretch her wings in much bigger market. With the dress still very strong in fashion and McCall a dress queen, some of the adorable dresses in this collection are sure to hit the retail mark.
A few cases in point: the layered, sheer, white trapeze-line pinafores with fringed hems; the simpler bustier dresses; and the very strong print series with art nouveau-like, and at times cartoon-esque, graphics, including one bodycon micro singlet dress and a looser sweater dress with long sleeves (both pictured above^).
Moving forward from her signature dresses and skinny jeans, McCall also showed some relaxed sportswear. Of note, her colourblocked waistcoat over silk shorts; the kingfisher blue kimono top over slouchy café au lait silk pants and one knockout sculptured redingote.
Speaking of cartoons, McCall's second collab line for Topshop reportedly has a late 80s/Atari computer game vibe. The line is due to bow on September 25 in the UK - and is likely to be included in the retailer's US offer. Topshop open its first US outlet, in Manhattan, in mid October.
According to vogue.co.uk McCall’s first Topshop collection turned out to be the Brit fast fashion juggernaut's fastest-selling line to date (although a Topshop rep described it as “one of the fastest-selling” in the vogue.co.uk story).
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Balenciaga bullet Myf Shepherd and her runway "zen...
- Fly-by shoot in the Highlands
- Venus of Willen-Dior
- Tallulah tanks
- Home straight: Mythical Myf, Magna Carta and other...
- Gareth Pugh: "We have to sell the dream before we ...
- Burning down the (Cavalli) house
- Moe better clues?
- World wide web
- Isn't Miuccia Prada supposed to be a feminist?
- Abbey Lee's sterling last day effort
- Live and luxe: Dolce e Gabbana
- Dolce e Gabbana live
- Mythical Myf "storms Fendi"...before the show sta...
- Oh hai
- Prada says jump - Sachi asks 'How high?'
- Gucci's green and gold girls
- Prada's new supernova: Myf Shepherd
- On the record: Jenna Sauers
- Chow down with World
- Joseph and his Karangahape dream set
- Kate Sylvester: The grey lady
- Drop dead Dinnigan
- Uncross your legs Auckland - and offload your swag...
- Boy meets World
- (NZ) Life of Bryan
- Land of the long white cloud's silver lining: Alex...
- Deborah Sweeney: The NZ$130 wolf shirt and other c...
- Snubbed by the Oz fashion press - shot by Lagerfel...
- FGI roadshow Part III – Fashion Exposed
- Win-win for Julie Grbac
- From Lesbohan to Lopez: Miro's "massive" adventure...
- Erin O’Connor flogs free stuff to help her starvin...
- Prada's new supernova?
- Costarella makes his move
- Will the real Abbey Lee please stand up?
- But Cat does show for Tommy
- Cat a noshow at Willow - while six Australians lef...
- Black eyes, busted ribs and cockroaches: Alice Bur...
- Willow's pyramid scheme
- And more: Allegra Carpenter
- Killer heels
- The jumpsuit: a trend with legs (and arms)
- Where’s Abbey Lee? (Definitely) On the cover of V
- But wait, there's more: Fabienne's fab first seaso...
- Marc's Fair Ladies
- An Oz model trifecta at Marc Jacobs - and one of t...
- More model blogger reports: Marc Jacobs pays in "t...
- Graydon Carter on Richie, Lopez and co: "Who cares...
- Just a quiet Sunday in New York....
- Karen Walker's fashion belief system
- Maticevski forms a lobby group
- A model blogger reports: Marc Jacobs uses green to...
- And Alice McCall bows in NYC (with a little help f...
- An Angel kicks off their schedule (with a little h...
- Where's Abbey Lee? (Apparently) on the cover of D&...
- A New York Fashion Week primer Part III
- A New York Fashion Week primer Part II
- The Big Schmozzle: A New York Fashion Week primer ...
- Sydney: Finally relevant to someone
- Girls of Summer: Which new Australians will make t...
- The Rothman prophecies: Project Runway Australia c...
- ▼ September 2008 (63)