Thursday, September 18, 2008
Following on from our series on hunky fashwranglers with eastern European backgrounds and first names ending in the letter 'o', meet New Zealand Fashion Week seating director Ricardo Simich.
While Simich's Australian counterpart Miro Kubicek comes to the fashion week seating business via a personal protection background - and a possible special forces secondment - Simich runs his own luxury brand marketing agency (ONE) which reps, among other companies, BMW and Taittinger.
But that doesn't mean Simich is a pushover.
"My Dad was Minister of Police" he told me this morning. "So I always have shiny shoes".
Simich has an interesting sideline which throws light on what is rapidly developing into another frockwriter series: designer swag.
We've been talking recently about models and the propensity for some, if not many, designers to pay models in "trade" - ie stock - as opposed to hard cash.
It seems Erin O'Connor might not be the only one who's thought of flogging her free stuff.
Simich regularly travels to New York with Maria Williams, the founder of NZ website designerexposure.com - which, according to Simich, specialises in designer swag offloaded from New York fashion editors and celebrities.
The latter get paid in cash for the swag - and Williams resells it with a markup.
Simich reports that Williams' clients include Nina Garcia from US marie claire and Project Runway, Sharon Stone and Kimberley Stewart.
Oh and Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Balenciaga bullet Myf Shepherd and her runway "zen...
- Fly-by shoot in the Highlands
- Venus of Willen-Dior
- Tallulah tanks
- Home straight: Mythical Myf, Magna Carta and other...
- Gareth Pugh: "We have to sell the dream before we ...
- Burning down the (Cavalli) house
- Moe better clues?
- World wide web
- Isn't Miuccia Prada supposed to be a feminist?
- Abbey Lee's sterling last day effort
- Live and luxe: Dolce e Gabbana
- Dolce e Gabbana live
- Mythical Myf "storms Fendi"...before the show sta...
- Oh hai
- Prada says jump - Sachi asks 'How high?'
- Gucci's green and gold girls
- Prada's new supernova: Myf Shepherd
- On the record: Jenna Sauers
- Chow down with World
- Joseph and his Karangahape dream set
- Kate Sylvester: The grey lady
- Drop dead Dinnigan
- Uncross your legs Auckland - and offload your swag...
- Boy meets World
- (NZ) Life of Bryan
- Land of the long white cloud's silver lining: Alex...
- Deborah Sweeney: The NZ$130 wolf shirt and other c...
- Snubbed by the Oz fashion press - shot by Lagerfel...
- FGI roadshow Part III – Fashion Exposed
- Win-win for Julie Grbac
- From Lesbohan to Lopez: Miro's "massive" adventure...
- Erin O’Connor flogs free stuff to help her starvin...
- Prada's new supernova?
- Costarella makes his move
- Will the real Abbey Lee please stand up?
- But Cat does show for Tommy
- Cat a noshow at Willow - while six Australians lef...
- Black eyes, busted ribs and cockroaches: Alice Bur...
- Willow's pyramid scheme
- And more: Allegra Carpenter
- Killer heels
- The jumpsuit: a trend with legs (and arms)
- Where’s Abbey Lee? (Definitely) On the cover of V
- But wait, there's more: Fabienne's fab first seaso...
- Marc's Fair Ladies
- An Oz model trifecta at Marc Jacobs - and one of t...
- More model blogger reports: Marc Jacobs pays in "t...
- Graydon Carter on Richie, Lopez and co: "Who cares...
- Just a quiet Sunday in New York....
- Karen Walker's fashion belief system
- Maticevski forms a lobby group
- A model blogger reports: Marc Jacobs uses green to...
- And Alice McCall bows in NYC (with a little help f...
- An Angel kicks off their schedule (with a little h...
- Where's Abbey Lee? (Apparently) on the cover of D&...
- A New York Fashion Week primer Part III
- A New York Fashion Week primer Part II
- The Big Schmozzle: A New York Fashion Week primer ...
- Sydney: Finally relevant to someone
- Girls of Summer: Which new Australians will make t...
- The Rothman prophecies: Project Runway Australia c...
- ▼ September 2008 (63)