Sunday, September 7, 2008
Toni Maticevski enjoyed a little international PR pick-me-up earlier this year when Gemma Ward chose his distressed silk goddess gown to wear to the Australian premier of The Black Balloon. Overnight he made his fourth New York Fashion Week foray: on-schedule, but off-site, in the lobby of the chic new Rafael Viñoly-designed Hotel Roger Williams.
The collection was inspired by the 1977 book, Inventive Paris Clothes 1909-1939. A photo essay by Irving Penn, the book documents the Diana Vreeland-curated 1973 Metropolitian Museum of Art exhibition Inventive Clothes 1909-1939, which featured garments from Paris couture masters including Paul Poiret, Madeliene Vionnet, Alix Grès, Molyneux, Chanel, Paquin, Schiaparelli and Callot Soeurs.
There were nods to Vionnet in the draped silk gowns and to Poiret, in the lace sack dresses and shifts, the most striking a black and white draped cocktail dress with lace insert.
The rest seemed like trademark Maticevski: exquisitely detailed teastained and ivory cocktail dresses and ballgowns, with some occasional shots of marigold and salmon pink, one of the prettiest a panelled ivory cocktail dress with high Victorian collar, silk fringing and delicate shoulder ruffles.
Smart tailoring included an ivory lace blouse with shoulder pads tucked into a matching pencil skirt; a sheer, striped maxi-length shirtwaister; and a glossy black, wide-legged jumpsuit worn under a jet black blazer - it seems no designer wants to do a collection this spring without one.
All up, a polished, if occasionally unfocussed, collection, which might have been perfect had Maticevski edited out a handful of exits (a case in point the petrol blue silk layered dress with ringlets).
all images: getty for img
Click here to see the complete collection on wwd.com.
- ► 2013 (66)
- ► 2012 (115)
- ► 2011 (153)
- ► 2010 (330)
- ► 2009 (415)
- Balenciaga bullet Myf Shepherd and her runway "zen...
- Fly-by shoot in the Highlands
- Venus of Willen-Dior
- Tallulah tanks
- Home straight: Mythical Myf, Magna Carta and other...
- Gareth Pugh: "We have to sell the dream before we ...
- Burning down the (Cavalli) house
- Moe better clues?
- World wide web
- Isn't Miuccia Prada supposed to be a feminist?
- Abbey Lee's sterling last day effort
- Live and luxe: Dolce e Gabbana
- Dolce e Gabbana live
- Mythical Myf "storms Fendi"...before the show sta...
- Oh hai
- Prada says jump - Sachi asks 'How high?'
- Gucci's green and gold girls
- Prada's new supernova: Myf Shepherd
- On the record: Jenna Sauers
- Chow down with World
- Joseph and his Karangahape dream set
- Kate Sylvester: The grey lady
- Drop dead Dinnigan
- Uncross your legs Auckland - and offload your swag...
- Boy meets World
- (NZ) Life of Bryan
- Land of the long white cloud's silver lining: Alex...
- Deborah Sweeney: The NZ$130 wolf shirt and other c...
- Snubbed by the Oz fashion press - shot by Lagerfel...
- FGI roadshow Part III – Fashion Exposed
- Win-win for Julie Grbac
- From Lesbohan to Lopez: Miro's "massive" adventure...
- Erin O’Connor flogs free stuff to help her starvin...
- Prada's new supernova?
- Costarella makes his move
- Will the real Abbey Lee please stand up?
- But Cat does show for Tommy
- Cat a noshow at Willow - while six Australians lef...
- Black eyes, busted ribs and cockroaches: Alice Bur...
- Willow's pyramid scheme
- And more: Allegra Carpenter
- Killer heels
- The jumpsuit: a trend with legs (and arms)
- Where’s Abbey Lee? (Definitely) On the cover of V
- But wait, there's more: Fabienne's fab first seaso...
- Marc's Fair Ladies
- An Oz model trifecta at Marc Jacobs - and one of t...
- More model blogger reports: Marc Jacobs pays in "t...
- Graydon Carter on Richie, Lopez and co: "Who cares...
- Just a quiet Sunday in New York....
- Karen Walker's fashion belief system
- Maticevski forms a lobby group
- A model blogger reports: Marc Jacobs uses green to...
- And Alice McCall bows in NYC (with a little help f...
- An Angel kicks off their schedule (with a little h...
- Where's Abbey Lee? (Apparently) on the cover of D&...
- A New York Fashion Week primer Part III
- A New York Fashion Week primer Part II
- The Big Schmozzle: A New York Fashion Week primer ...
- Sydney: Finally relevant to someone
- Girls of Summer: Which new Australians will make t...
- The Rothman prophecies: Project Runway Australia c...
- ▼ September 2008 (63)